cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus G55VW - efficient cooling?

jackwylde86
Level 7

so.. i got a defected unit right? should i send it back for a replacement?
what temperature range i should be expecting?
11 REPLIES 11

c_man
Level 11
Yes, defective. 71°C I have seen often and I had about the same.

The system works very well, trust me, I've seen Dell and Lenovo systems that will burn your fingers.

And Kepler is not as cool as people might think.

c_man wrote:
Yes, defective. 71°C I have seen often and I had about the same.

The system works very well, trust me, I've seen Dell and Lenovo systems that will burn your fingers.

And Kepler is not as cool as people might think.

660m here, maximum it reaches is 68 C on the G75 even on Furmark. 65 C after hours of BF3.
G75VW-BBK5
i7
8 GB
660m

cl-scott
Level 12
There is no answer to that question, because there are a number of environmental factors that play a part. If it's say 25C outside, then using convection cooling the laws of thermodynamics would dictate that 25C is the floor, or the absolute coolest you could get any component. Someone living near the arctic circle will have very different ranges compared to someone living near the equator.

Your GPU temps do seem a little high, but at the same time if you're trying to play a game in a location in the middle of a heat wave at the hottest part of the day, that might be a perfectly normal temp for the circumstances. Normal in the sense that the cooling system is operating nominally and the high temps are simple physics which cannot be overcome except to make the decision to abstain from gaming during these periods of the day.

If you wish to send the unit in for repair, that's your choice, but depending on several environmental factors, there may be nothing wrong.

But here I strongly says, this unit is defective. Because I had same problem with my previous G55 and did a replacement. 'm Sri Lankan and almost near to equator. So normal temp range (ambient temp) 28 to 34c and peek levels could be at day times. When I did FurMark test on my previous machine, it reaches to 86c and once it reaches 90c on day time. (here I might say scott correct, based on ambient temp factor). But what I need to highlight here is, when I got my new G55 (after RMA) it reaches only 72c in day time. (ambient 32c/ ~90F). So this's what my point. Most probably your cooling/fans are almost working at their best, but I bet you got a problem with bad thermal paste. What my advice is to replace your unit if you can. Because trust me, I went through this issue and I know that it's defective on practice. It's not normal for sure.

**) My previous G55 on FurMark results (ambient Temp. 29c)

**) My new one (ambient Temp. 32c)

cl-scott wrote:
There is no answer to that question, because there are a number of environmental factors that play a part. If it's say 25C outside, then using convection cooling the laws of thermodynamics would dictate that 25C is the floor, or the absolute coolest you could get any component. Someone living near the arctic circle will have very different ranges compared to someone living near the equator.

Your GPU temps do seem a little high, but at the same time if you're trying to play a game in a location in the middle of a heat wave at the hottest part of the day, that might be a perfectly normal temp for the circumstances. Normal in the sense that the cooling system is operating nominally and the high temps are simple physics which cannot be overcome except to make the decision to abstain from gaming during these periods of the day.

If you wish to send the unit in for repair, that's your choice, but depending on several environmental factors, there may be nothing wrong.

c_man
Level 11
This is also true. That is why I always post the room temp. Except now. For my laptop to jump from ~71°C at 32-33°C to 96°C, that heat wave needs to be rather big and the user kinda super human.

But, in certain conditions, the laptop might perform in that way even if it's not defective.

i tested it in an air conditioned room. set it to 22C. i dont know the exact room temp. but it was around that right..? or maybe abit hotter.

ok. just did another furmark test. in an air conditioned room full blast 16C. really cold alright.

the temp is stil in 90C range. 93-94C. definitely something is wrong with my laptop.
started the test for about 3 secs it shoots up to 90C range. ....

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Sounds like something is broken with the temp sensor .

There's no technical way for that chip to reach that temperature in 3 secs
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
Sounds like something is broken with the temp sensor .

There's no technical way for that chip to reach that temperature in 3 secs

yea. it should be gradually increasing right? all of a sudden my temp went up high to 90.

and what does throttle means? throttle down the gpu clocks or something? i got that all along running furmark.
i`m quite noob so pls bear with me if i asked something stupid. thanks.