cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive D always showing fragmentation

Skye
Level 7
Hello I am a total noob when it comes to computers.

I have 2 drives currently on my g53,
Drive C (OS) and Drive D (Data, but my games are here)

After a few weeks ago, my drive D has always been showing 1%. I asked about it, but most replies were "Just forget about it"
But after I uninstalled a game and defragged it, it remains at 2% now. Any ideas/suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3

cl-scott
Level 12
Add another to the "Just forget about it" tally. Defragmenting is vastly overblown in terms of importance. The gains in performance can really only be measured with the aid of a benchmarking program, it only improves disk intensive tasks, and the amount of time spent defragmenting a drive will far and away exceed that which is "saved".

Now, if you are running a large web or database server, or do a lot of large scale video editing, then defragmenting may still hold some value. For virtually everyone else, it's a tool that has long since outlived its usefulness. Even in terms of gaming, once a particular map is loaded into memory, the HDD ceases to really be important. Sure you might spend an extra 2-3 seconds over the course of a week, waiting for a map to load on some game, but it won't have any real impact on in-game performance. If it does, it means you are light on RAM and the OS is having to hit the drive for swap space, not that your HDD is too badly fragmented.

Just my opinion anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree, and if someone can actually post some hard data showing that performance improvements are greater than 5% in a broad general sense, not just specific operations, I'd be happy to retract my opinion. I'd honestly be surprised if it's even 1-2% however. I think sometimes people get so caught up in performance tuning that they forget to actually enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Thanks for the reply

xeromist
To answer the general question, if Windows is using or considers any files to be open they will be locked to defragmentation. This is most likely why you still see fragmentation after running defrag.

HDD seek times are much better than they used to be. Back in the day defragmentation offered a noticeable boost because it took more time to seek to the next fragmented sector. Also, since storage was at a premium you could actually regain some space by defragging.

It's not a terrible idea to defrag periodically when you're not using the machine though. It doesn't cost you anything.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…