cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Components

Royalkin
Level 7
Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

I have recently become the proud owner of a MAXIMUS V FORMULA, but I'm struggling to find an aftermarket cooler that fits with my specifics.

Firstly, I plan on using an i7 3770, not the 3770k, and as such I don't really plan on doing any overclocking. Secondly, I want to avoid water cooling, as I find it a major pain in the nether-regions (read too many horror stories about leaking etc.).

And thirdly, I am planning on using Kingston HyperX T1 (Yes, they have the tall head spreaders). Yes, it might be overkill, but I want to avoid heat...

Given these considerations, I am having difficulty finding a cooler that will fit, and provide adequate cooling. So far I'm leaning towards the Cooler Master GeminiII S524, but instead of hanging over the memory, hanging it over the fushion-thermo block, if possible.

I am looking for opinions, critiques, and suggestions. However, I am firm with my choice of motherboard (obviously), and my choice of processor.

Thanks in Advance,

Royalkin
10 REPLIES 10

Homiestar
Level 8
If you get a Water cooler such as the H100 its basically maintenance free besides blowing dust out of the radiator once in a while. I currently have the H70 and have had no problems with it, plus the CPU block is small enough where you dont have to worry about tall heat spreaders getting in the way 😄

As for air coolers, I know Noctua makes a good one, Cooler master makes a good one also. Can't really help you out here though 😞

Good luck with the build!
Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - FX-8150 3.6GHz ( OC'd to 5.4)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 (2 gentle typhoon fans)
GPU - ASUS Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X series (2x4gb) 1600 (OC'd to 1725)
PSU - Seasonic 860w platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
OS - Win. 8 Pro 64 bit

You may consider the Prolimatech Black Megahalems with push pull fan set up. It will keep your system cool. I dont buy the idea for close loop water cooling soltion. That is just me.

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=888&page=1
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

HiVizMan
Level 40
To be quite blunt. If you are not going to be over clocking you do not need any cooler other than the Intel stock cooler. It is quite and will manage the temps of your CPU at stock with no issue what so ever.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the info guys, I decided to go with the Cooler Master GeminII M4. Numerous people have told me that the stock fan would be adequate, but I wanted a little insurance.

The stock fan and heat sink are good until the paste dries out then your CPU will start to get hot not to mention cleaning out the dust regularly. An after market cooler will keep your CPU cooler than the stock will and less maintenance

Zka17
Level 16
Well, the TIM can be changed if it's not good anymore... 🙂

Royalkin, if you're not OC'ing, then I agree with HiVizMan... - the stock cooler will be just fine... moreover, you don't even need the tall heatspreader memories as at stock they won't overheat either...

I like the idea of that GenimII M4... the only issue I can imagine with it is that it may be a great dust accumulator... if you want to keep your system in good shape, you have to use dust filters on your case and/or check and clean regularly the heatsink's fins...

MTT
Level 7
the intel fan is good choice if u r not OCing ,,,,
don't worry ,,even if u r gaming

MTT wrote:
the intel fan is good choice if u r not OCing ,,,,
don't worry ,,even if u r gaming

I have no comment over Intel stock cooler. But 3rd party cooler most of the time perform better over stock.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

lenehan wrote:
I have no comment over Intel stock cooler. But 3rd party cooler most of the time perform better over stock.

of course it is ,, intel fan was made for normal use
i am confident about the intel fan cuz i know a small gaming centre it has about 12 PCs running 24/7 with intel fan sice 2009 and still going