cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-3de RAM Upgrade to 32gb

KamiDOTexe
Level 7
Good Morning Ladies and Gents:

I bring before your infinite wisdom of the ROG Notebooks since it would surely surpass my own.

I recently purchased 32gigs of DDR3 PC1333 ram to install into my laptop G74SX-3DE.
Upon installation the laptop refused to boot to the bios and continue.

Is there a way to get this laptop to take the 32gigs of ram considering that 64bit operating systems are designed to take and utilize 32gigs?
6 REPLIES 6

Idestruction
Level 7
DDR3 1333 MHz is the correct term you should use. The PC acronym will tell you what type of 1333 ram. For instance, you could have DDR3 1333 MHz (PC 10600). I would suggest putting the old RAM back in and going to crucial.com. Run their scanner and make sure you bought the right type of RAM. Sounds to me like you may have bought an unsupported type, which would cause your machine to not boot into anything at all.

xeromist
First let me point out that Windows 7 Home Premium only supports 16GB so unless you upgrade the OS half of that would be unusable anyway. If you do have a Pro or Ultimate upgrade then the next step would be to try the sticks one at a time to see if one or more of them is faulty. If they all POST individually then I would run memtest86 on them one at a time as perhaps they are borderline.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

fostert
Level 12
Grab http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip and burn image to CD. Put in the sticks two at a time (for dual channel operation, which is how you would normally want to be running them) and test for a minimum of three passes. If *any* errors are found (even one) switch out one stick and test again. Continue until you have narrowed which stick(s) has/have bad ICs. Sticks with errors must be RMA'ed with the manufacturer, and identifying the problem sticks makes the RMA go much more quickly.

The G74 can definitely handle 32GB: I have been running 32GB for 8 months now in my G74SX and hammer all 32 GB pretty hard in my daily usage, with never a single problem seen.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Grab http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip and burn image to CD. Put in the sticks two at a time (for dual channel operation, which is how you would normally want to be running them) and test for a minimum of three passes. If *any* errors are found (even one) switch out one stick and test again. Continue until you have narrowed which stick(s) has/have bad ICs. Sticks with errors must be RMA'ed with the manufacturer, and identifying the problem sticks makes the RMA go much more quickly.

The G74 can definitely handle 32GB: I have been running 32GB for 8 months now in my G74SX and hammer all 32 GB pretty hard in my daily usage, with never a single problem seen.

Hi Fostert,

Would like to know what type and what brand of 32gb rams you use in your g74sx? please give link to the rams? is it possible to use high performance rams on G74sx??

Cheers
Pizzazz

Pizzazz wrote:
Hi Fostert,

Would like to know what type and what brand of 32gb rams you use in your g74sx? please give link to the rams? is it possible to use high performance rams on G74sx??

Cheers
Pizzazz

I have four sticks of Corsair (CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9) 1x8GB DDR3-1333 MHz 9-9-9-24 204 pin. See (for example) http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64472&vpn=CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair
which is where I purchased them from (see also http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/laptop-memory-upgrades/value-select-8gb-ddr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmso...). Works outstandingly well in my G74, and has been going strong in there for 9 months now. Linux flourishes with 32GB. Will never need a memory upgrade again.

It is possible to use high-performance RAM on the G74; however, you will be limited to using 2x4GB=8GB total. For some reason the ASUS BIOS cripples the G74's ability to use 4 sticks of 1600 or even 1866 MHZ RAM, which the Intel Sandy Bridge chip's memory controller can handle without breaking a sweat. Despite many, many voices on this forum begging them, ASUS has not released an updated BIOS to fix this or other problems (e.g. the numlock issue) since October of last year. Sigh.

Performance RAM is mostly gimmick and gives essentially no advantage using real-world applications over regular 1333MHz DDR3. Its really just for overclockers and those into competitive benchmarking; since benchmarks test RAM *specifically* for things such as clock speed and CAS latency timings, of course, performance RAM boosts your scores. Trust an old overclocker: I went from 1333 CL9 to 1600 CL7 sticks in my desktop, and saw d**k all in gains, even in some of the benchmarks I used. I have since wised-up. You can't overlock the G74 (again, a crippled BIOS limitation), so my advice: don't waste your money on anything but 1333MHz RAM in your G74. You might as well light cigars with paper $.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

dstrakele
Level 14
+1 @fosert! A "must read" post if you are planning a RAM Upgrade...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT