cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the process for getting a RMA? (G55 issues galore)

ImperfectLink
Level 7
Hi there people/Asus,

I've really like my G55 but it is riddled with issues and I'm outside my return period to the store I bought it from. This is a G55VW-RS71.

The thermal performance is not even up to par with the N56 I tried out before it. I thought the heat issues were simply the weather but I'm testing in a cool environment not and not liking the results.
With an ambient temp of 25C the CPU hits a temperature of 93C within 8 mins of stress testing.
Furmark pushes to 77C during the 15min period which is sorta acceptable but again, not up to par with the N56.
Cmon, this thing is twice as heavy and thicker than the N56 and more expensive to boot. Unacceptable.

The keyboard is squeaky when I type which the N56 also didn't do.

The sound comes out of the speakers even when I plug in headphones.

I love everything else about this machine and it makes me bitter that there are these simple yet big issues glaring at me.

I'm sorry to have to make a thread about this but the conditions are not ideal. What is the best way to RMA this and get me back to working condition quickly? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Xen.
11 REPLIES 11

chrsplmr
Level 18
What country are you in ?
Have you registered on vip.asus.com ?
Have you put in an incident report there?
That is the correct channel to start with.

You could PM (Private Messege) Mason@Asus for direction... Best of Luck.c.

ImperfectLink
Level 7
Thanks for the reply chrsplmr.

Sorry I didn't include that info. Yes it's registered. I was asking more for advice on a path. I filed a report but I never know if I'm just firing those off into space.

I've owned this machine for a month and four days.

Xen.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Xen ... ok.. but ya still didn't say .. where are you ? What Country?

PM.. Mason@Asus .. at the least he will be able to check on your status..
include and incident numbers or rma numbers .. no replies as of yet ? c. (Chris)

ImperfectLink
Level 7
USA, Columbus, Ohio.

I'm also calling the store to see if they'd take a return or have some sort of inside track for RMA's

chrsplmr
Level 18
Excellent .. Mason is the NorthAmerican rep for these things ...
If there is return time left--exchange--by all means, yes do that ..
If there is no time left .. Mason is ur guy .. c.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Woot Ohio!

What vendor did you purchase it from?
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Microcenter. I called in today and despite the fact that it's been a month since my purchase they were very flexible and replaced it. I love that store. I tested the new one and it's night and day. Temps are better and no squeak in the keyboard. Now I have a machine I can be happy with.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Fantastic. ... and Cudos to MicroCenter ... good to see aRetailer stand behind the products they sell, any.... and Now you know ... the same is true Here.c.

X-ROG
Level 15
Good to hear it's sorted, but for the record:

N56 comes with 630M/650M, which are not as fast/hot/power hungry as the 660M, which means it needs less power hardware/less cooling/can be thinner.

Your CPU temp was abnormal and should have been checked out and the speakers needed a software update. The early versions are unfortunately known to be buggy.

Glad you like the N56 though 😄