cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Speeds and sound (G53SX-AH71)

tejamgb
Level 7
Hi guys,
The idling fan speed of my G53sx is constant at 2600rpm and the temp is 48 C for gpu and 50 C for cpu.(as measured by 'speed fan')(ambient temp is 28 C) .When new there was no sound coming from the laptop. But after 3 months of use I can hear a slight humming noise(same fan noise u get from all other laptops). Is this the case with ua G53SX also?

The temp is reaching a maximum of 81 C for both GPU n CPU when playing Ghost Recon:Future Soldier in DX11 mode. The noise from the fan is more . Is this normal?
Can someone help me out? Thank u 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

cl-scott
Level 12
First try measuring temps with a different program. Speedfan is pretty well known to have accuracy problems. But it would be normal to have more fan noise when playing a game as opposed to the unit sitting idle. The computer is doing more work, thus generating more heat, thus the fans need to kick in to get rid of that heat. I'll let others suggest a few programs to test with, and then I'd be willing to bet your temps are a good 5-10C lower than Speedfan says.

cl-scott wrote:
First try measuring temps with a different program. Speedfan is pretty well known to have accuracy problems. But it would be normal to have more fan noise when playing a game as opposed to the unit sitting idle. The computer is doing more work, thus generating more heat, thus the fans need to kick in to get rid of that heat. I'll let others suggest a few programs to test with, and then I'd be willing to bet your temps are a good 5-10C lower than Speedfan says.

Thanks Scott. 🙂 . Will try some other program. But the humming during idling wasn't there before a month. Is it due to dust or some problem with fan bearings.

dstrakele
Level 14
Try blasting the fan intakes and exhausts with some compressed gas and see if it quiets the fans.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Try blasting the fan intakes and exhausts with some compressed gas and see if it quiets the fans.

Thanks 🙂 . BUt I'm clueless about the position of air intake vents. Please help!!

tejamgb wrote:
Thanks 🙂 . BUt I'm clueless about the position of air intake vents. Please help!!

On the bottom of the laptop, take the rear access panel off. You could use a can of compressed air or an air compressor to blow air through the chassis of the laptop toward the outputs of the fans (the grilled openings on the back). You could also blow air the other way, from back to front, but I would not advise that as you could just end up making the problem worse by spreading dust all around the inside :P.

I have used CoreTemp in the past, it is fairly good for getting CPU temps. You could also use Speccy from Piriform. That will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about the internals of your laptop.

Idestruction wrote:
On the bottom of the laptop, take the rear access panel off. You could use a can of compressed air or an air compressor to blow air through the chassis of the laptop toward the outputs of the fans (the grilled openings on the back). You could also blow air the other way, from back to front, but I would not advise that as you could just end up making the problem worse by spreading dust all around the inside :P.

I have used CoreTemp in the past, it is fairly good for getting CPU temps. You could also use Speccy from Piriform. That will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about the internals of your laptop.

Thank u n Speccy seems better than speed fan. 'Taking the rare panel off ' -doesn't that void my warranty ?

tejamgb wrote:
Thank u n Speccy seems better than speed fan. 'Taking the rare panel off ' -doesn't that void my warranty ?

No, it does not. The rear panel is held down by two screws... it is the only way to get at some of the internals without taking the WHOLE laptop apart, and taking the whole thing apart would void your warranty. You are not removing any hardware or installing new hardware, so your warranty will be intact. You are just simply blowing out some dust.

Idestruction wrote:
No, it does not. The rear panel is held down by two screws... it is the only way to get at some of the internals without taking the WHOLE laptop apart, and taking the whole thing apart would void your warranty. You are not removing any hardware or installing new hardware, so your warranty will be intact. You are just simply blowing out some dust.

But mine is a G53SX and it doesn't nave any screws at the bottom/rear panel of it. One should remove the keyboard and track pad to gain access to the innards of the laptop and that's where the screws holding the rear panel are. So if I open it that way doesn't it void my warranty. That's the reason I'm scared of opening it myself.

And are the fan speeds I mentioned in my first post normal??

tejamgb wrote:
But mine is a G53SX and it doesn't nave any screws at the bottom/rear panel of it. One should remove the keyboard and track pad to gain access to the innards of the laptop and that's where the screws holding the rear panel are. So if I open it that way doesn't it void my warranty. That's the reason I'm scared of opening it myself.

And are the fan speeds I mentioned in my first post normal??

Here is a video from the guys over at XOTIC. They are adding a second HDD in the video, but the disassembly is the same. As they say in the video, if you were to COMPLETELY disassemble your laptop, then it voids your warranty. If you are just exposing the internals, like the HDD bays or under the keyboard, it will not void your warranty. And you can run these cards into the 80s Celsius with no issue.