cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games lagging without the charger, is it normal?

Halvizzle
Level 7
So im sitting here with my asus g74sx and im playing a game without problems and i exit the game and pull out the charger because i dont wanna destroy the battery because i know some people says that having the charger in the laptop for too long can damage the battery, dont know if its true tho. Anyway, i start a very small demanding game and it lags like hell, ive tried in all the four modes with the power4gear hybrid program but it still lags like hell. asked my stephdad, he says its not supposed to be like that but i dont trust him so my question is: is it supposed to be like that, that i have to use the charger to play any kind of games or is there some way to fix it? oh and does it hurt the battery to have the charger in all the time when the battery is fully charged?

-Halvizzle-
8 REPLIES 8

Idestruction
Level 7
My G73Sw does this too. I believe it has something to do with CPU throttling, but i am not entirely sure. i usually just leave my laptop plugged in all the time where ever I go, due to the fact that it only lasts about 1.75 hours on battery on high performance.

Wtfismyname
Level 7
Yeah it does that. Just make sure to plug it and leave it plugged in to play games.
I leave my thing plugged in 24/7 actually

BullDozzer
Level 8
Halvizzle wrote:
So im sitting here with my asus g74sx and im playing a game without problems and i exit the game and pull out the charger because i dont wanna destroy the battery because i know some people says that having the charger in the laptop for too long can damage the battery, dont know if its true tho. Anyway, i start a very small demanding game and it lags like hell, ive tried in all the four modes with the power4gear hybrid program but it still lags like hell. asked my stephdad, he says its not supposed to be like that but i dont trust him so my question is: is it supposed to be like that, that i have to use the charger to play any kind of games or is there some way to fix it? oh and does it hurt the battery to have the charger in all the time when the battery is fully charged?

-Halvizzle-

First of, yes, most gaming laptops with big cpus throttle both gpu and cpu when unplugged for obvious reasons.
If you look over the manual it will tell you that your asus laptop, just as other laptops nowaday is protected against overcharging, so its not harmful in anyway, i always have my charger in and after a year of daily usage the battery have only lost 3% or so of its total time, which all batteries do. Just plug that charger in and game away

Cheers
BullDozzer

BullDozzer wrote:
First of, yes, most gaming laptops with big cpus throttle both gpu and cpu when unplugged for obvious reasons.
If you look over the manual it will tell you that your asus laptop, just as other laptops nowaday is protected against overcharging, so its not harmful in anyway, i always have my charger in and after a year of daily usage the battery have only lost 3% or so of its total time, which all batteries do. Just plug that charger in and game away

Cheers
BullDozzer

+1 rep

A sound advice. When gaming or any intensive power usage, it's best to let
the AC power cord connected. In laptops such as ours, the battery should be
thought of only as a back-up in case of an AC power outage.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

It's normal 😄 Just plug and play 😄 hahaha. I leave mine always plugged in as well, I do sometimes unplug the ac (not the pin) when i just browse though.

This is not normal. Obviously they use inferior parts. I have 2 other laptop which do not lag when unplugged from A/C. A laptop is made to use and move around, NOT to be plugged in all the time.

I would suggest you guys call ASUS support, if you can ever get anyone real there, and complain. This laptop is AWFUL....

Valorguy wrote:
This is not normal. Obviously they use inferior parts. I have 2 other laptop which do not lag when unplugged from A/C. A laptop is made to use and move around, NOT to be plugged in all the time.

I would suggest you guys call ASUS support, if you can ever get anyone real there, and complain. This laptop is AWFUL....

It is not normal for Ultrabooks and computers like that to throttle, because the total power draw of such systems is a whole lot lower. For instance, the idle power consumption of my G53SX (under LINUX measurements) is around 18-21 Watts. That's twice the total TDP for the processor in an ultrabook at full load. I don't know of any gaming laptop with a full-voltage CPU+GPU that doesn't throttle at least somewhat while on battery under load. It's a fire safety protection - Lithium Ion batteries can catch fire if overdrawn.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ive seen a lot of topics + including me , where there was a problem with battery . it stopped charging and that's it , u plug in and it wont charge ,in the end of story I had to change battery ( I sent it back to asus ). I had laptop maybe for 3 months 24/7 charging , then I replaced the battery and now I charge only when battery is 10% , when its full I stop charging , and I do like this for 6-7 months , no problems with battery so far (thx god).
so I was thinking that if u leave 24/7 charging, this problem may occur