cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power supply recomendations

awelect
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade my power supply. Using http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en with my pc specs it thinks around 900W is needed. I currently have a 700W and my ROG machine keeps freezing dead (no mouse, num lock toggle etc). I am hoping that the power supply is the course of the problem after doing memory testing, reinstalling windows 7 64bit, updating all drivers etc!

Anyway my question is whats a good brand of power supply - I want to look in the 1200W area simply to eliminate the power supply as a cause of the problems and to provide for a bit of future expansion if need be. Any advice greatly received.

Specs:
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard with i7 3930K processor, Corsair DDR3-1600 16GB RAM. Cooled by Corsair H80. 1 80gb Solid state boot drive, 4 raided SATA 1 tb drives and 1 2gb SATA drive. 2 DVD writer drives. Currently powered by SILVERSTONE Strider Essential ST70F-ES 700W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply. Running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
4 REPLIES 4

Zka17
Level 16
Well, you forgot to mention the most power hungry component... - the graphic card(s)! 🙂

But if you want to go in the 1200W range, then look for Corsair AX1200... I'm having very good experience with it...

Didn't tried yet, but Seasonic and Silverstone (in your desired range) are good too... just choose a higher efficiency rating (gold or platinum) and check the amperage on the rail(s) for your VGA(s)...

Your right! Its an ASUS HD7970
Thanks for your advice.
Zka17 wrote:
Well, you forgot to mention the most power hungry component... - the graphic card(s)! 🙂

But if you want to go in the 1200W range, then look for Corsair AX1200... I'm having very good experience with it...

Didn't tried yet, but Seasonic and Silverstone (in your desired range) are good too... just choose a higher efficiency rating (gold or platinum) and check the amperage on the rail(s) for your VGA(s)...

Zka17
Level 16
For two of those, an AX1200 should be fine... more than that, you need a bigger one...

yeah both corsair and seasonic psu good in performance. As for silverstone (psu) I am quite reserve with comment.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.