Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g73jh GPU OVERHEAT (92 celsius ) !

meryqat
Level 7
Helo ROG's

this is my first post in this forums , i hope to be happy together ^_^
i have problem with my asus g73jh-BST7 sine i bought it , my asus getting very hot after play high games like BF3 , GTA IV , SniperEliteV2 , ,,,,,,,,,, then suddenly turn off !
but i remember that was happen 2-5 per Month , but now its happening 5 time /day !!
and this made me MAD ! :mad:
i search for solve on google but i ddint find the solution , until i find this forum .

this is my case :

this photo is shown the system temp. on load " direct after 20min of play BF3 SINGLE-PLAYER"

notice : if i didnt quit the game 100% the system will suddenly shut down after 1 min.
and often that happens on below temperatures "88,90,89 Celsius"

i remember that the GPU fan speed on 100% it was about 9500rpm but now its only the half or less 😞

i have been try this solutions :
Get an "air can" and clean the heatsinks .
update the drivers.
flash the bios .
force the fan to 100% "its stll about 4500rpm"
but it didnt works

more info. :
system idle

room temp. is about 26 celsius , the laptop is near window , and on 12cm cooler .
13 REPLIES 13

Idestruction
Level 7
ATI cards, like anything from AMD, run very hot. Hotter than most Nvidia cards and chipsets, and it has been that way for a long, long time. I would suggest repasting the GPU, or sending it into Asus for a repaste job if you do not feel comfortable completely disassembling your laptop and taking the heatsink off of the GPU. Also, games like BF3 are very, very GPU intensive. Nvidia cards have always been better at dissipating heat and handling intensive games. It is a known fact.

My advice, never buy an ATI card... HA. Seriously, repaste the GPU.

Deduced from your words that i have to buy a new PC with Nvidia GPU and intel CPU , and give the asus to my son for play on flash games :cool:

meryqat wrote:
Deduced from your words that i have to buy a new PC with Nvidia GPU and intel CPU , and give the asus to my son for play on flash games :cool:

That isn't what I said at all. I said simply that Nvidia cards and Intel CPUs handle heavy loads better than AMD chipsets do. You do not need to get a new laptop, you could simply repaste the GPU or send it into Asus for a repaste job (although, I do not know if they do that)

Idestruction wrote:
That isn't what I said at all. I said simply that Nvidia cards and Intel CPUs handle heavy loads better than AMD chipsets do. You do not need to get a new laptop, you could simply repaste the GPU or send it into Asus for a repaste job (although, I do not know if they do that)

Two years ago I sent mine in for a repaste due to overheating GPU (kept hitting thermal shutdown at 110-115C). The repair facility replaced the entire VGA board and it came back with the same overheating problem. Not only that, but 2 of the GPU heatsink screws were left loose, my keyboard was replaced with one of a darker color, and the keyboard cable was plugged in upside down. Hopefully the Indiana repair facility has improved since then.

I ended up repasting it myself, and my GPU hasn't gone above 92C since. So it seems 92C at max load is normal 😛

@Idestruction iam just kidding i know exactly what you mean 😛 ,i will repast the GPU as soon as possible

@Yuxi3200 my asus warranty is over right now, so i have to do repastting by my self , 92C is normal !! i dont think so cuz my laptop shutdown suddenly after those temp.'s . and any help in repaste from you - i will be grateful 😮

meryqat wrote:
@Idestruction iam just kidding i know exactly what you mean 😛 ,i will repast the GPU as soon as possible

@Yuxi3200 my asus warranty is over right now, so i have to do repastting by my self and any help from you - i will be grateful 😮

You just need thermal paste, the BTOTech disassembly video, a screwdriver, and a lot of patience. When you get access to the GPU, it's pretty straightforward - just remove the heatsink, clean the old paste off (leave the small pads on covering the VRAM chips), apply new paste, and put it back together. 😛

Idestruction
Level 7
Arctic Silver 5 is probably the best thermal paste on the market. Relatively cheap too. I would suggest buying the cleaning kit too, comes with a purifier and surface cleaner that will get rid of ALL old thermal paste

knight
Level 8
i had exact same problem and finally after lot of searching on web i repasted my gpu... i put up the post on how to repaste gpu .. follow the link it might help u a bit to start
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19784-G73Sw-Laptop/page2

i would suggest if u have no option give a try to repaste ur self.. It is a bit tricky and time taking but u learn something at the end

I had this issue after I updated my GPU drivers a week ago. I reverted back a version of Catalyst Control Center as well as GPU drivers after completely uninstalling everything ATI. I was running 100c in Tribes Ascend for a few days and now I'm running no higher than 85c after a few hours of gaming. Good luck!
G73JH :: Future recipient of GPU upgrades.