cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

optimizing tips for SSD?

13fist
Level 10
Hello,
I just installed a 256gb kingston SSD in my new G75 as my "C:" and the original as "D:". Nice fast and spacious now, and have been following several guides for keeping it running strong for as long as possible.
So far I have,
disabled superfetch
disabled indexing on C
moved pagefile to D
killed hibernation
stopped defrag on C
relocated most of the "MY" folders to D
redirected temp and tmp environment variables to D
I think that is a pretty good start for minimizing excessive writes to the SSD, but I feel like there is more I can do. or has been overlooked.
Does anyone know if it is possible to relocate the recycle bin? meaning something deleted on "C" would reside in "D" until the recycle bin is emptied? (not just kill it for C)
I did not see an environment variable for it, will I have to make a junction point and will that accomplish what I want?
Any other Ideas, suggestions, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

john_from_ohio
Level 11
This guide is pretty good so take a look. I followed several steps in it but think some people are getting way too worried about things here.

The first thing to ask ( is you ask me ) is do you have a good backup and recovery strategy? That to me is way more important than the optimization steps.

My G75VW is running an Intel 520 120 gb SSD and intel has their own software that you run and takes care of stuff for you. It has a few items it suggests but also schedules "something" to run weekly. For me that is the way to go.

Anyway here is this guide ( seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds ).

Thanks for the reply, that is a good read. wish i had found that one before i did the installation.

Yes, I do backup rather frequently, the issue i have that interferes with maintaining backups is that I travel constantly.
In my experience, external media has reliability/durability issues of its own. but I get by. just wish asus made a G75 ruggedized for people like me.

c_man
Level 11
Things I do:
- No Page file.
- No Super fetch.
- No Defragmentation.
- No Indexing.
- No power off, even when on battery.
- No System restore.
- No Recycle bin.

I need Temp files on the fastest drive. I don't use My "anything" so I don't care about those.

C_man- why no power off and no Recycle bin??

mrwolf
Level 10
Is the 'No prefetch/Superprefetch' effective if I have a HHD and SSD ? Because i read that it can cause sum serious performance decrease on the HDD ?

c_man
Level 11
I had SSD+HDD and the HDD was quite fast.

Some SSDs have big problems with Power off.

I never use Recycle bin, space is too important 🙂