cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with doing a fresh install of windows (not a recovery)

Bundy_Drop_Bear
Level 9
I have Win7 64 Ultimate for my desktop and have read that if I make a back up of my windows DVD and delete a file called ei.cfg
it will the allow me to install home edition which is whats on my G75, now i made the backup image deleted the file and tried running setup. but i get a error which i will post screen shots of shortly, but i would l like to know if anyone here has done a reinstall this way, as my home key won't work on win7 ultimate.
14 REPLIES 14

Limbless_One1
Level 10
Always believed to do a fresh install with the operating disc ,
So i gather you do not have a disc .
plus i like to re-install my op sytem fresh every couple of months , soi bought windows 7 as i didn't like the back up feature wasting to much space .
never heard of re-installing this op this way before.

As I said the laptop dosen't come with a Windows7 DVD or i would use it, i have W7 64 DVD for my desktop and all windows DVDs come with all versions of windows on them so I foll0owed the instructions i found through googling.
Any way here is the error I get.

any way i hope some one can help. I'll post a link to the site that gives directions for this method of install.

MaXimus711
Level 10
Here you go, this guide has everything from how to create the Windows 7 DVD, latest driver downloads, and correct order of installing the drivers

ASUS G75VW Clean Install Guide

Bundy_Drop_Bear
Level 9
Thanks Max, i will try it with a Home .iso rather than the method I am trying and post back here on how it goes. My method removed the need to download 3gbs of DVD, as I have a retail copy of Win7 Ultimate and seemed like it was going to work with the method i mentioned.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-...

Bundy_Drop_Bear wrote:
Thanks Max, i will try it with a Home .iso rather than the method I am trying and post back here on how it goes. My method removed the need to download 3gbs of DVD, as I have a retail copy of Win7 Ultimate and seemed like it was going to work with the method i mentioned.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-select-any-edition-or-version-sku-of-windows-7-to-install-from-...

Sure that's fine too, as long as you get Windows installed, then you can proceed to the 2nd section (Drivers)

Good luck man

Ok thanx, now i have a small problem I just inserted the DVD with Win7 home that i got form that link you posted, went through the direction on that fresh install guide page, but after restarting and hitting the escape key during post I was given an option for booting from DVD. is there any other way for it to boot from DVD, as if i start the install from in windows I don't know if it will restart back into windows as normal or weather it will boot from the dvd and continue the install.

Edit: I found out the second listed device on booting was in fact the DVD but upon choosing it it tell me to inset a proper media device or reboot, so now after downloading and burning a copy of w7 Home it still won't let me boot from the disc.

I may have to start off with my ultimate disc in the dvd till i get to the setup screen, then switch to my copied one and continue the install form there, or just not reinstall at all.

Bundy_Drop_Bear wrote:
Ok thanx, now i have a small problem I just inserted the DVD with Win7 home that i got form that link you posted, went through the direction on that fresh install guide page, but after restarting and hitting the escape key during post I was given an option for booting from DVD. is there any other way for it to boot from DVD, as if i start the install from in windows I don't know if it will restart back into windows as normal or weather it will boot from the dvd and continue the install.

What I usually do is, go into BIOS, then boot options, set the Mat****a DVD as the first boot device

then while the Win7 DVD is inserted, restart your computer again, it should automatically tell you "press any key to...." at that point just press any key and it should start loading he setup files

you MUST install Windows via booting from the DVD

I once had an issue where the DVD itself wasn't bootable because I extracted the ISO then burned the files to a DVD, you should just burn the ISO directly so it copies the boot sector to the DVD

Ok just started the install and my screen was flickering at the country/language selection screen and has flickered a few times now during the actual install, which is a little worrying as it shouldn't flicker at all unless there is a problem. anyway the install is working will update this thread when it's done. hopefully the flickering will stop when i put the drivers on.

Bundy_Drop_Bear wrote:
Ok just started the install and my screen was flickering at the country/language selection screen and has flickered a few times now during the actual install, which is a little worrying as it shouldn't flicker at all unless there is a problem. anyway the install is working will update this thread when it's done. hopefully the flickering will stop when i put the drivers on.

Strange, never ever had this flickering bug

I hope you have updated to the latest BIOS 210