cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX is "Bricked"?

TRose2342
Level 7
Hello. I'm not sure if "Bricked" is the correct term. I had to look it up. But as doorstop, this thing is great!
Had some problems with it about a month ago and AT&T tech support ($180.00) took 10 hours to make it go again.
Now it won't boot to Windows 7 or anything. I tried an upgrade disc (W7) I used for my Mom's XP machine to see what would happen. It loads, but will not stay. Black screen and cursor every time on restart. The only authorized repair place is in Colorado?! None in Wichita, Kansas apparently. Before you ask; No no buttons work except F2 and that did allow me to get the disc drive to boot first (big deal). Read a lot about ASUS being bloated and that some software conflicts will "brick" a laptop. Sorry to go on so long. My daughter really wants Daddy to fix her laptop. I've tried for 3 days now (with the exception of going to my Mother's and upgrading her XP) and all I find is posts saying basically "You're screwed." My Lenovo has never given me (and my oldest daughter) any troubles. Perhaps another Lenovo is in order, but I paid a LOT of money for the ASUS. I'm hoping to get some help in this forum. Please don't ask me to remove stuff or this and that. I'm just a poor custodian/maintenance person that needs some advice (free is accepted, of course).
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

chrsplmr
Level 18
Go to the Asus Store and get a 'recovery dvd' ... short of that you can also try a usb keyboard to get to f9
but the chances of a recovery partition being there are grim ...

Idestruction
Level 7
Could be a corrupted partition or master boot record. You could always try burning a live-boot cd like BartPE in order to access certain function of the laptop. You could also try what chrsplmr said and get yourself a recovery disc, although you do not necessarily need to buy one.

Start with the windows recovery disc, and work from there.

evga
Level 9
download win 7 home 64bit online , burn it to a dvd , when you see asus logo press rapidly 'esc' key , so it will show up boot options , select the drive with dvd and press enter , and follow up windows installation .
all info on drive C:/ gets erased but all other partitions will remain the same.

evga wrote:
download win 7 home 64bit online , burn it to a dvd , when you see asus logo press rapidly 'esc' key , so it will show up boot options , select the drive with dvd and press enter , and follow up windows installation .
all info on drive C:/ gets erased but all other partitions will remain the same.

+1 rep, @evga! The only thing to do first to recover any files is to burn a CD with Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) and boot the computer from the CD. Open the drive that has all your files - if you can - and copy them to a backup drive (USB stick or related, or copy to the second partition). If you have made backups, then you can skip this step. Ubuntu is different from Windows, and will let you run the OS from a CD/DVD or a USB key.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23