cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whew

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
Pretty sure my drive is failing.. Started installing Windows and right at the extraction point I received an error stating window did not have all of its contents or something like that. None sense basically. Went through this FIFTEEEN times. Air dusting, cleaning etc on the drive. Finally a glimpse of hope. The extraction point didn't throw an error right of the bat. 20 minutes later still at 0% and no error code. Stuck or working? One way to find out. Ten minutes later.. 5%. Finally.. I made it. A few problems like drive mis match.. but I'm here. I almost had a pretty ugly old looking paper weight. :X. Realtek audio won't let me pick surrounding enhancements or pitch the audio :(. Works though. Probably a drive mis match... that was included on my asus cd.. HAH. Oh yeah. Been using atheros since I bought the machine. The CD installed azureware/wave or what ever. I didn't cancel it to interupt the whole installation. For obvious reasons.. I was treading lightly. Surprisingly enough though.. The wireless works. Speed tests and DPC latency result in those similar that I aquired with atheros. o.O *scratch head*. I feel as if I should throw some ice on my face because of this whole ordeal. Meh. What a hassle it is to be an ASUS laptop owner. First there's the excitement. Then there's the disappointment. Then there is the acceptance faze. Where you realize that REMANS most likely result in a worse off product then prior to sending it in. Acceptance in the little things that just annoy the **** out of you. Then there is the.. Whew* faze. Plenty of those. From what I've read the G75's aren't much better. Computers are so meticulous and annoying it drives me ape****. I feel like I couldn't trust the part if I was god and installed it myself. Whether it be a program/game that isn't in accordance to your specs, lackluster drivers or just all around ****ty quality.. It appears that PC's more often than not result in a head ache.
ASUS g74SX-XT1
3 REPLIES 3

Gorman
Level 12
Well, to be fair, that could happen to any other branded computer 😉 Maybe go with a linux install, linux works really well now days, especially debian and it's magical apt-get powers.

I was about to give the example of a desktop that had a dvd drive break, but I just realized that drive was also ASUS branded >_>

We all bow before the almighty apt-get or yum install depending on the denomination of your choice. :cool:

3rd hard drive...might have to consider...3 TB of storage in a notebook...more than most desktops. Scary! 🙂 USB installation of Windows 8 isn't bad, and I used the Win 7 installer tool that you mentioned, @brecker, so I am certain that Windows 7 should also be easy.

I will tell you that the G53SX has a very sensitive DVD drive. If your notebook is tilted (on a cooling pad) it is possible for the DVD drive to fail to read DVDs. Make sure that the notebook is flat on a hard tabletop that is also flat. If this doesn't work, do as @gorman said.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

brecker
Level 8
by your drive i'm assuming your talking about your dvd drive... if so, may i suggest you to install windows from a pen drive...

not only its way faster than using the good old drive, but you don't have to worry about scratches, writing speed or even moving the notebook...

just download this and make a windows installer pen drive http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

you can always throw the drive and put a third hard drive on the notebook as well 😛