cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW Fan Noise

Retired
Not applicable
Hello guyz,

i bought an Asus G73SW 4 days ago, and i am surprised by the GPU fan noise.
i had an PackardBell LJ75 230 with a HD5650 who was completly inaudible, and i really hear the difference.

Even if i put my computer to saving battery mode, i can hear the GPU fan.
My temps are normal, CPU and GPU are between 30 and 40 degres when i am surfing or using MS Office.

When i am playing (Crysis 2), i can hear both fan, at max speed, which is normal, but on idle, the right fan is less noisy but i can still easily hear it.

Is that normal?
Maybe yes because the GPU is powerfull, but i would like to know if people has the same problem.

Should i ask for a refund and maybe buy the N73SV for example with Optimus technology?

Best regards.
5 REPLIES 5

Retired
Not applicable
its a gamming laptop guy.

xeromist
It's normal to hear some fan noise. You can use various tools to change fan profiles to only ramp up when it gets hotter but that means your components will run hot and it may result in reduced life span.

If this is intended to be a desktop replacement for games then I don't really see much way around this. If it is primarily a portable machine for more mundane tasks and you can do your gaming on a desktop then perhaps a more work oriented laptop would be appropriate.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Chastity
Level 10
It's not unusual for the fans to turn on, but at those temps, it should be minimal at worse. I have several G73's, including an SW, and it's very quiet. Then again, quiet is subjective. My units alternate between off and lowest rpm speeds.

Whether you can live with or not is another question. You could take it to someone else to get a second opinion about the noise levels. I know some of the fringe nuts love to swap out the fans for "better" fans.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

The right side of the fan is for the GPU and the Left side is for the CPU...they work independently so one can go higher speed than the other too
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice