cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ASUS G75VW-BBK5's ram is running at 800MHz

fer50rp
Level 7
I just downloaded CPU-Z and ran a test on my laptop. To my surprise, it says my ram is running at 800MHz. Why is this? Is there a setting I can change to have it run at higher frequencies that I don't know about, or did Best Buy just install 800MHz memory sticks? If this is the case, should I look into buying new memory sticks or what? Thanks in advance.

Here's a picture of CPU-Z's report

12 REPLIES 12

c_man
Level 11
Don't worry. You know this as 1600Mhz. Your system is fine. It's working in Dual channel, everything looks fine.

Who makes your RAM? I think I'm the only one with Elpida.

Oh, well that makes a lot of sense, hehe. Thank you. Oh, and I have no idea what brand it is. What brand would you recommend if I were to upgrade to 16GB?

c_man
Level 11
CPU-Z will tell you the maker, just click SPD.

I have no idea exactly what modules will keep clocks at 1600Mhz. I fear this is trial & error. I have not found solid combinations from other users so far.

See also http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20084-Adding-RAM-to-G75VW-BBK5/page3

Do not forget that we have G75 and that maybe it won't work the same as G55. I don't know.

Hyundai Electronics is the maker of my memory apparently. I'll take a look at that thread, thanks a lot for the help.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
fer50rp wrote:
I just downloaded CPU-Z and ran a test on my laptop. To my surprise, it says my ram is running at 800MHz. Why is this? Is there a setting I can change to have it run at higher frequencies that I don't know about, or did Best Buy just install 800MHz memory sticks? If this is the case, should I look into buying new memory sticks or what? Thanks in advance.

Here's a picture of CPU-Z's report

Remember since your RAM is CL 11 you want to purchase other RAM that matches the latency ... not Corsair "High Performance" CL 9 which does not have a compatible mode with the installed RAM.

I put in 8 gb of Samsung DDR3 1600 CL 11 and works just peachy.

c_man
Level 11
Even so, some modules might not work well when mixed. My last fail was with Hynix and Mushkin. We need tested solutions.

Clintlgm
Level 14
[10854

Yes mine is running at 800 also, what are we missing here??? I know we bought 1600 unless I'm missing something?? G75VW-DS72
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

OK I think I have figured this out. Quote from Wikipedia relating to DDR 3 ram "DDR3 modules can transfer data at a rate of 800–2133 MT/s using both rising and falling edges of a 400–1066 MHz I/O clock. Sometimes, a vendor may misleadingly advertise the I/O clock rate by labeling the MT/s as MHz. The MT/s is normally twice that of MHz by double sampling"
I'm not sure that I understand this completely but I do think this is the answer. Some one correct me that has a better understand of this issue.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
[10854
Yes mine is running at 800 also, what are we missing here???

It is already posted in this thread buddy. Dual channel ... read and repeat ... 2 times 800 equals ... some number ...