Mem: 16GB PC1666 DDR3
Storage: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
Screen: 17.3" full HD LED screen + 3D + 3D glasses

thank you for your response.
11 REPLIES 11

X-ROG
Level 15
You'd have to find a retailer to upgrade the CPU to XM and provide a warranty as ASUS does not offer this spec. ASUS also doesn't recommend the XM CPU as it's a 55W CPU not 45W CPU, which can affect power provision, cooling/temps and noise.

The rest of the spec (1600MHz DDR3, not 1666) is a standard offering on some models, although you must be careful to select a 3D model (with -3D suffix) that has a 120Hz display.

kiba
Level 10
that CPU would be a lot better if we had a real ROG bios.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
You'd have to find a retailer to upgrade the CPU to XM and provide a warranty as ASUS does not offer this spec. ASUS also doesn't recommend the XM CPU as it's a 55W CPU not 45W CPU, which can affect power provision, cooling/temps and noise.

The rest of the spec (1600MHz DDR3, not 1666) is a standard offering on some models, although you must be careful to select a 3D model (with -3D suffix) that has a 120Hz display.

thank you marshall for that technical aspect. i'll put that on mind

Jsl1ce wrote:

JsL1ce, lets see then...as soon as i got my asus rog lappy.

Jsl1ce wrote:

You'd also need a massive power brick and a much thicker laptop to accommodate the extra power hardware and cooling apparatus as well. Not to forget the fact the XM CPU is a thousand dollar part??

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
You'd also need a massive power brick and a much thicker laptop to accommodate the extra power hardware and cooling apparatus as well. Not to forget the fact the XM CPU is a thousand dollar part??

i agree marshall, just called a local reseller here in uae (computer care - dubai), its expensive, i rather go for i7 3720qm

c_man
Level 11

mrwolf
Level 10
Its a nice idea but i wouldn't say its very practical and also not needed.. I tested the physics and CPU performance with 3D mark11 with my i7-3610Q with all the latest intel chipset beta/dev leak drivers to maximize performance and my own little tweaks 😉 and i got a score of 7504.
If you compare my CPU score to that of the i7-Extreme (6810), my ROG i7-3610Q still whoopps its ass nicely 😛 infact my results are off the charts for laptops and not even too far away from the highest desktop score 🙂

You can check for yourself here: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

lol its also worth noting that the 3dmark11 CPU benchmark utilizes single and multicore performance so its a pretty accurate test imo..

c_man wrote:
What do you do with all that CPU power?

c_man, i need it for 3dmax modeling, vray rendering and post process from photoshop then surf the net (facebook + youtube) all at the same time. ahihihi...

mrwolf wrote:
Its a nice idea but i wouldn't say its very practical and also not needed.. I tested the physics and CPU performance with 3D mark11 with my i7-3610Q with all the latest intel chipset beta/dev leak drivers to maximize performance and my own little tweaks 😉 and i got a score of 7504.
If you compare my CPU score to that of the i7-Extreme (6810), my ROG i7-3610Q still whoopps its ass nicely 😛 infact my results are off the charts for laptops and not even too far away from the highest desktop score 🙂

You can check for yourself here: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

lol its also worth noting that the 3dmark11 CPU benchmark utilizes single and multicore performance so its a pretty accurate test imo..

noted mrwolf, thank you for your inputs. cheers.

c_man
Level 11