cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene BIOS-ONLY chassis fan control for 3-pin? Min RPMs?

Gabedamien
Level 9
Hello,

I will be using the Maximus V Gene mb for a hackintosh project.

Now, Fan Xpert software is obviously not accessible in OS X. So I am limited to BIOS-only fan control.

Given that, does the MVG BIOS allow for RPM control of 3-pin fans (chassis)? I know the CPU headers are PWM-only, not asking about that. Specifically, I am hoping that the manual q-fan setting is possible for 3-pin chassis fans.

Also, I saw somewhere that min fan speed in BIOS is artificially set to 60% - is that still true, or has it been fixed in the most recent BIOS?

Final question - if, one day, I did install Windows, would any settings I make in Fan Xpert 2 apply to the firmware of the board, i.e., would they "stick" if I booted into OS X, or would they only apply *while* Windows was running?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer these questions!

-Gabe
18 REPLIES 18

SUKARA
Level 10
What's bios version are you using?
And
When you using Fan Xpert tools,Did you haven't Initialization once all fan device?

SUKARA@ASUS wrote:
What's bios version are you using?
And
When you using Fan Xpert tools,Did you haven't Initialization once all fan device?

Again, "I will be using this board" – I don't have the board yet, so the BIOS version will be whatever it ships with (presumably the latest). And again, the point of my mentioning it will be a hackintosh is that I won't have any access to Fan Xpert whatsoever, so I am limited to BIOS controls.

😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate give me a couple of hours and I will try and find out for you. Just need to put the board on the test bench, there are a couple of other more pressing things I need to do first but I will get there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Mate give me a couple of hours and I will try and find out for you. Just need to put the board on the test bench, there are a couple of other more pressing things I need to do first but I will get there.

Hey, it's greatly appreciated! Take your time, but I am looking forward to any info you might glean from your testing. 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem but it is going to cost you. You have to walk me through the whole Hackintosh thing with that board then.

😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hah, I get you! Don't worry, I'll be documenting the whole crazy exercise and will be sure to post it if/when I succeed. But it's not until September, so no rush.

Bump - hey there HiVizMan, had an opportunity to do that test?

Planning stage has stalled without knowing my fan options... 😛

Yes, 3-pin chassis fan control is supported in the BIOS, and the minimum fan speed is 60% as of the latest BIOS (1204).

My 3770K system is currently running without a CPU fan, using a Thermalright HR-02 heatsink, and I've noticed that if I disable the CPU Q-Fan Control, the Chassis1 control no longer works properly. A bug, maybe?

I have a TJ08-E case with the 180mm front fan and a Scythe S-FLEX D rear fan both successfully controlled.

Here's a pic of the BIOS settings (stock values):

P.S. Those captchas are ridiculous!

Thanks Auto-detuner! That's very helpful!

Now I am only wondering if the 60% minimum is specific to 3-pin fans, or if it holds for PWM fans as well (somehow I have a sinking feeling that it is the same for both). Kind of annoying since I know plenty of good fan models that can hit as low as 30% or less...

And yes, I was thinking that the captchas were becoming completely illegible. Forget computers, they're starting to block the humans!