cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn on TPM and Activate

Darkstlkr
Level 7
First off let me introduce myself. My name is Mike and on the forums and around the net I go by Darkstlkr. I am new to this forum but have always used Asus boards in my custom builds. I work in the IT industry as a L2 Deskside support person for the Helpdesk at a major semiconductor company.

My question is, on the Crosshair V Formula motherboard using BIOS Version 1402 x64 is there a setting to turn on and activate the TPM? I am unable to turn on BitLocker due to it saying there is no TPM activated. I have called Asus and one time I was told some bogus section in the BIOS that it was at and the second time the guy basically told me to call back tomorrow night because he did not know what I was talking about and the L2 would need to assist me.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

SUKARA
Level 10
Could you please try to upgrade the motherboard bios version 1503 and testing again?

the bios file download link:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=Crosshair%20V%20Formula&os=17&ft=3&f_n...

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15193/eng/D915GMH_TPM_QuickRefGuide01.pdf

The board does have the TPM chip so I assume that there has to be a setting to enable it. I have not played with my CHV in some time so this is as good a reason as any to play with some AMD goodness again.

If the BIOS update does not help you, and you report success here then I will post back later today GMT with what I found in the latest bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
The CHV nor the CHIVF have a Trusted Platform Module Sorry to have to inform you. Yes I have the latest Bios and no there is no setting in BIOS to turn it On or Off. I've looked at BitLocker for some time now trying to get it to work with the alternative way mentioned in the Documentation a USB Stick with no luck! There is no documentation that I can find of a TPM Chip on the CHV. A side benefit would be to run MAC OS you have to have a TPM to load it with out the Hacks... So if there was a TPM Present the MAC OS Would register it and allow you to install...Yes I tried this as well with no luck so No there is no TPM. If by some Miraculous means that there is a TPM Chip onboard it would be very nice if Asus Would enable it or are they waiting for Secure Boot and the Microsoft Windows 8 Patch to make it work.

HiVizMan
Level 40
DC you are quite right. I thought there was a chip, but it seems there is only the header on the Z board as I have since discovered.

Most annoyed at this. LOL I was wanting to play around with this..

Thanks mate what would I do without you. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I don't know other than do what you do... I'm not around all that much anymore since Raja proved I'm not wanted around...and over a short time I'll be around a lot less to not at all....Some Admin he is! But this is not the thread for that and I'm sorry to have opened my big mouth here.

Darkstlkr
Level 7
I just got off of the phone with Asus' tier one support. I don't actually trust tier one but they said that these types of motherboards don't have TPM available on them and that feature is only on WS (Workstation) Boards so it looks like I am SOL in this instance. Thank you all who have replied with their input.

First:
Check that your motherboard has a TPM header on it.
Check the header for the pattern of pins as I noticed that the newer Asus boards have a different pin pattern than my x99 does.
Purchase a TPM that matches. I got one that is Asus and matches the pin pattern.
Install the TPM on the motherboard.
Boot to CMOS and find TPM. Mine was in "Advanced"
Set TPM enabled and change "last command" to "enable". Reboot.
I opened:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US\tpm.msc
It said TPM not found....
I rebooted to CMOS and found it had changed, TPM status was now enabled and I left it on "last command" and saved.
Now in windows I tryed tpm.msc again and it had found the TPM and was ready to configure the it.
I didn't go further yet, good luck
BTW the module I got was less than $12 from Amazon. The newer pin-out version was less than $11.

Korth
Level 14
You can run BitLocker without a TPM chip. The TPM basically functions as a unique hardware key so that "secured" data/drives cannot be decrypted on other platforms. It's not really of much use to most consumers because chances are you'll lose your BitLocked data one of two ways:
1) the computer is physically destroyed or stolen - along with all your encrypted data and the TPM key needed to decrypt it. You may have off-site backups somewhere (in the cloud, discs, flash drives, etc) but they cannot be decrypted/recovered without the TPM key.
2) the BitLocker drives/volumes/data somehow crash or get corrupted. You can only attempt recovery/decryption on the computer with the TPM installed, not any other machine (with or without the TPM), and this might be a catastrophic pain if your computer just won't work. (Normally, one can always attempt data recovery by transferring the drive into another machine and working off cloned images.)

From what I've read, not all ASUS ROG motherboards have "proper" TPM support in BIOS. I can't confirm this, I've only used a TPM in an R5E as a unique "hardware identity dongle" for running certain professional software packages. I just cold booted and found some TPM options suddenly listed in BIOS settings, I don't bother to use it for BitLocker because (as mentioned above) being locked onto a single (and likely malfunctional) computer makes data recovery a serious pain - also, "my" sensitive data is in fact "my employer's" sensitive data, it does me and my employer no good while sitting at my home and BitLocker is "secure" enough and constant decrypt/encrypt cycles involving my TPM key add up to a serious waste of time.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

superdave
Level 8
So here's the answer. Count the number of pins. Go to amazon and type in asus tpm module. Buy the correct one and boom you now have a tpm. They don't ship them with the motherboard it's just another accessory that should be included. Hope this helps FYI they are quite cheap around 10 usd