cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 Words 2 Win 1 Of 3 ThunderFX

X-ROG
Level 15
We’re giving away 3 ThunderFX USB sound devices and all you have to do is drop us a few words! They will work with any PC, notebook, and even your Xbox 360 or PS3.

Drop us up to 100 words in this forum thread on the following topic:

“What are your thoughts on the features & specification of the Maximus V Formula?”

Not sure where to start? Click here for more information about the Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX. Competition closes on August 31st.
123 REPLIES 123

DeadOfKnight
Level 9
I think the new board is great for gamers. In fact, I think this is the best Intel board yet for gamers! There are so many features packed into this board! However, I do have a few critical thoughts that should be considered for the next generation:

1. There is no PS/2 port. This is an essential feature for full N-key rollover support present in most gaming keyboards. I understand there was little space with the new mPCIe combo module, but I also don't think most people buying this motherboard will really make use of this. The mPCIe module makes a lot of sense for the mATX GENE that will likely be toted around to LAN events, but most people with a budget for this mobo will already have an SSD and most likely use a direct ethernet connection. If they really need wireless support, they can get it without this module.

2. eATX. This motherboard has the perfect layout for a "formula" motherboard. It's not built for extreme 3 or 4-way multi-GPU configs like the Extreme, but it has an ideal PCIe slot configuration for dual-GPU which is extremely common among gamers. The only problem I see here is that many of those who can't really fit more than 2 graphics cards in their cases also don't have a case designed to fit more than a standard ATX motherboard. This means that many who are interested in buying this motherboard would be forced to step down to a GENE. I mean, I know it's not a true full eATX board, but I just think it does limit options somewhat. Again, I think this might have been necessary to fit in the mPCIe module which, while it is a nifty gadget, could have been left out and the cost savings passed down to us gamers.

3. I have read advertisements for this motherboard that suggest it has EAX support, but it does not come bundled with the Creative software for this feature. Could this have been an oversight? Was it assumed that most people would want the ThunderFX version and have no use for integrated sound? I find that hard to believe given how much time and effort went into SupremeFX IV. The Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 software suite should have been at least optional for this board. In fact, this is something you might still be able to offer to current owners in the future.

4. Fusion Thermo sounds and looks great on paper, but I don't think this feature is really worth any additional money to most gamers. I feel that if it could have been left out for added savings, that would have been ideal. Most water cooling enthusiasts will probably want to buy their own water blocks anyway, and I think air cooling would be slightly better if the heat sink had more surface area like the Maximus V Extreme. This isn't really a con though; in fact, it has probably opened up a lot more people to the idea of water cooling their rigs instead of air cooling which is pretty sweet. I just don't think it adds enough value that it should be carried over to all future ROG formula motherboards, but it's a nifty feature nonetheless.

Edit: Oops, I went over 100 words. Was that the minimum or the maximum?

X-ROG
Level 15
That's... 543 words 😮

Good effort though!!

dedaciai
Level 10
I believe the Maximus V Formula offers any gamer the complete solution to get an edge on the competition. The sound from the SupremeFX IV audio will help the gamer pinpoint the location of the competition, 3-way SLI will help push as many frames as possible in the highest resolutions, and the Fusion Thermo cooling solution will help do all of the above more quietly. And last but not least, since the Maximus V Formula is a Republic of Gamers motherboard it can be guaranteed that it will be able to overclock with the best of them!
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Definitive gamer's system board have only 3 words: Maximus V Formula.

This is the ultimate solution for pro gamers, no matter if you have a PC, a console, mobility computer: the ThunderFX USB soundcard will grant you the maximum quality of sound.

Other features like mPCIe combo, aggressive look Black&Red, support for Multi-GPU configurations and ready aptitude for liquid cooling system permit to you to have an incredible OC'ing power machine to beat'em all your enemies!

If you search for a complete, reliable and next-gen proof platform for a new rig Asus Maximus V Formula with ThunderFX is the way!

New Water Cooling & Red Eagle Eye for Gamer; Box of Dark Thunder for Music Fanatic. Pure Art of Fusion for a Motherboard!

RonanC
Level 10
let the mind compute, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into the block, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, Maximus V FTW!

utnorris
Level 7
I have the MVF and love it. I am using the Fusion in my water loop and it does quite well at keeping the VRM's about 10 degrees cooler. I have not been able to use the Creative SupremeFX software since there was not a key in my box for it, so I am still working on that. I would like Asus to try a different color scheme, red and black is getting old. I always like the Rampage Black because it was a solid black, maybe Asus can look at that for future boards.

After building systems from components for more than 15 years now, I already thought that there will be nothing that gets me "drooling" again. When unboxing the board, the 1st impression was Quality. The 2nd impression was that this is a fusion of engineering and art as the design meets both the aesthetic and technical requirements of even a demanding individual.

Now I'm just waiting my "License to Plumb" liquid cooling kit to arrive to see what are the final numbers one can tweak out from this magnificent board. This truly deserves the seal of approval, it "ROG"'s!

Definitely and interesting concept of the dual cooling feature. Keeping the machine cool is important especially if you want to game with all of the ultra settings that are coming out these days. Its a must have when thinking of the future of gaming and heavy virtual designing. It has everything you would need to compete with other brands for a long time. As a gamer I would definitely buy this in order to put together my new desktop in the next year it will be a major step up from all the other choices out that are out in the market right now.