cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxumus V Formula + GTX 680 = PCIe 3.0 @ x8 ?!

-_MrG_-
Level 7
Hi,
Is this normal that in UEFI/BIOS in Advanced/System Agent Configuration/NB PCIe Configuration > PCIEX16-1 shows x8 with EVGA GTX 680 (reference cooler, not SC edition)? If I change settings to Auto - makes no difference - shows x8. Is this suppose to be x8 and not x16?
The reason I'm asking is because all games (BF3, Metro 2033, Crisys 2) and tech. demos (New Dawn, Unigine) are crashing to desktop without any notifications within 10-30 min, sometimes system freezes and needs to be reset.
New BIOS version 0804 didn't help either.
Thx.
14 REPLIES 14

Tyrus_Ashkar
Level 7
The GTX 680 Isn't a PCI-E 3 card ... so you can't have 16x in PCI-e 3 line ( note that the PCI-e 3 line is active only if you CPU is an Yvi-bridge . )
But the bandwith of a 8X in PCI-e 3 line is equal ( just ready ) to bandwith of a 16X in PCI-e 2 ... and your card is a PCI-e 2 garphic card ...

For your crash in games ... Is your drivers are the latest ??
Chassis : NZXT Phantom White/Red Edition
PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 850 W
CPU : Intel 3750k @ 4.6GHz Vcore 1.250
RAM : 4x4Go Corsair Vengeance 1866 Mhz
Mobo : Asus Maximus V Formula
GPUs : New !!!! Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 OG
Cooling : EK and XSPC home made liquid cooling for CPU only
Internal SSD : Samsung 830 128Go
Internal HDD : WD Vélociraptor 300 Go ( for games )
Internal HDD : 2 x 2To WD Green Caviar ( Raid 1 )
Monitor : Hyundai Hyundai - W220D TFT 22"

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would do is go into bios and change the PCIe lane to gen2. That should fix your problem.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

8_Pack
Level 12
As far as CTDT goes this is often a memory error have you memtested your RAM to check its stable? are you running an overclock on it?? If so remove the overclock and see if you still crash to desk top.

Changed it to GEN_2 in UEFI/BIOS - still shows x8. About games/demo's crashing: it was indeed memory problem. As soon I've removed second 8GB module - everything is stable. But still have doubts about PCIe 3.0: does anybody have same motherboard and video card to compare UEFI/BIOS screenshots?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have the boards and I have 680 cards. Not EVGA mind you. Will test for you.

8 Pack nice fix mate. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

iceprizm
Level 7
Have same mobo and same vga card. Mine does run at x16 on auto.
Asus Maximus V Formula
Intel I7-3770K
G Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GTX 680
Crucial M4 SSD 2x128G Raid 0
WD 2x140G Velociraptors
Corsair 750W PSU
Koolance PC4-1036SL

iceprizm wrote:
Have same mobo and same vga card. Mine does run at x16 on auto.

Please post your BIOS version and what settings you have changed from default if any. And many thanks for saving me some time.

Bios is 0804 and all settings are at this moment on auto. Thanks for checking. I'll wait if Asus comes with solution, if not will RMA MB.

-=MrG=- wrote:
Bios is 0804 and all settings are at this moment on auto. Thanks for checking. I'll wait if Asus comes with solution, if not will RMA MB.

Does CPU-Z report x16 or x8?
Asus Maximus V Formula
Intel I7-3770K
G Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GTX 680
Crucial M4 SSD 2x128G Raid 0
WD 2x140G Velociraptors
Corsair 750W PSU
Koolance PC4-1036SL