cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Upgrade possibilities?

Alexraptor
Level 7
Got myself a G75VW today, one of the lower end models with a GTX 66M due to my limited budget.
But I would just like to know if it would be possible to have an ASUS certified workshop to upgrade the GPU to a 670m or something as well as replace the DVD burner with a Blu-Ray drive at a later date?
13 REPLIES 13

soulctcher
Level 9
Alexraptor wrote:
Got myself a G75VW today, one of the lower end models with a GTX 66M due to my limited budget.
But I would just like to know if it would be possible to have an ASUS certified workshop to upgrade the GPU to a 670m or something as well as replace the DVD burner with a Blu-Ray drive at a later date?

I assume you mean you have a 660, not a 66. Both are moderate upgrades difficulty-wise. You should be aware that both would void your warranty due to how much you need to disassemble the machine. I think the only thing you have to keep in mind is the cooling for the GPU...you'll need to clean the cooling elements and re-apply some paste, if I'm not mistaken.

c_man
Level 11
I would keep the GPU, OC it to 670M numbers if you want. There is no point and I'm not even sure it's possible to get a 670M instead.

Maybe someone from Asus can tell us how to change the ODD. In a normal laptop it's like taking out one screw.

c_man wrote:
I would keep the GPU, OC it to 670M numbers if you want. There is no point and I'm not even sure it's possible to get a 670M instead.

Maybe someone from Asus can tell us how to change the ODD. In a normal laptop it's like taking out one screw.

Overclocking will void the laptops warranty.

ASUS hasn't provided us with any information on if we can upgrade the 660m to the 670m after the fact.

I doubt will we be able to, as what GPU stock they would have after the production runs would be allocated to service / RMA.

I don't even know if re-sellers that aren't ASP can even request GPUs.

The ODD is simple enough to replace, I don't have in G75 in stock or on demo to check if that's even user serviceable. I will have to wait until I get home to check.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Would replacing the ODD void the warranty?

mrwolf
Level 10
Overclocking does not void warranty btw.. it only voids warranty if you actually damage or fry ur GPU by overclocking and exposing it to intense heat..

c_man
Level 11
Well, if you say "guys I've OC my components until they burst into flames, I want to use warranty", then it might void warranty.

If you use a decent OC method, keeping the protections on, warranty will be OK. I could run my laptop with exhaust blocked until ... well, until thermal protection would shut it down. Nothing bad happens. GPUs also have protections, driver would reset, system would down clock or even shut down. Don't hack the BIOS/vBIOS, don't mess with these protections and you will be fine. Make sure that the difference in temperature from stock to OC is not big.

I would stick with the 660m...the 670m is faster but not that much...save your $300...the 660m has better efficiency and more overclockable anyway...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

c_man
Level 11

So any recommendations on good and warranty safe overclocking methods or tools?
Pretty much haven't overclocked desktop GPU's since my Nvidia GeForce 6800GTX, let alone laptop GPU's lol.