cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Gene III PWM fan control questions

sehlat
Level 10
I've got a micro ATX case with the Asus Rampage Gene III motherboard. According to the manual, only the CPU_FAN and OPT_FAN headers are PWM controlled and even though the other headers have 4 pins, they aren't listed at PWM controlled.

I've been trying to get a fan setup that will keep my rig cooler, and I replaced all the case fans and the cpu cooler fan with new 4 PWM fans. When I first powered up the system, I got the low cpu fan warning in the BIOS screen. I then decided to disable the Q-fan control and leave the cpu fan at 100%. As it's set up now, when I boot the system, the cpu fan comes on at a lower speed, then speeds up to 100% at the Windows Splash screen. Currently, all my fans are set at 100% since I don't have the Q-fan controller enabled. A little loud I'm afraid, but I don't want to fry my system. Is there a lower RPM limit to set the cpu fan speed warning to not get the low fan warning at bootup?

My other questions are, is there a version of Asus Suite for this motherboard that will allow me to install Fan Xpert and give me some control over my fan speeds? I had memory leak problems with the version of Asus Suite that came on the motherboard install disk and decided to uninstall it. I did download the newer version 1.00.19, which is dated 2010, but I've read that this version still has the memory leak issue and it's the only one listed for my board. All I want is Fan Xpert anyway, so am I stuck with this version?

Second, if I use Fan Xpert, what type of speed control will I get with PWM fans on those 3 headers that aren't PWM controlled, namely the PWR_FAN and 2 CHASSIS_FAN headers?
3 REPLIES 3

Raja
Level 13
1) Apart from the CPU fan headers all other headers will offer DC control. So if you plug a 4 pin fan into them they will be controlled in DC mode, rather than PWM.

2) In BIOS the BIOS Q-FAN section, see if there is the option to set Ignore for the RPM low limit warning.

-Raja

According to the manual, the OPT_FAN is also PWM controlled, but I don't have the additional thermal sensor on hand. I could use the duty cycle settings, but that fixes the fan speed at whatever percentage the user sets it to, like 60%. As for the DC mode, what kind of speed control does that give through Fan Xpert? Are there only fixed voltage settings, or can the speeds be varied according to a user profile in Fan Xpert for example? It's kind of lame that ASUS put in 4 pin headers and only 2 of them are PWM. :confused:

I still have a question about Asus Suite. What version no longer has the memory leak, and can I use that one for my Rampage III Gene motherboard? The only one offered on the Asus download specifically for my motherboard came out in 2010, which may still have the problem. I only really want to use Fan Xpert anyway. I've also read that Asus Suite causes problems with gaming. Anybody run into that one?

Raja
Level 13
I have not tried Fan Xpert on this board so I cannot help there. You would need to use the latest version and find out. Not many people here I know of using this board so you may have to bite the bullet and try it all yourself.