cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Guide: CAP Converter BIOS Update

TL
Level 7
If you’re now updating your motherboard BIOS for any reason, you’ll need to do the CAP conversion.
This is a two-step process which we’ve detailed in the video below so you can see how it works, and
as a reference to check if your update has gone smoothly.

For Rampage IV Extreme
If your BIOS version is 1404 or older, please install the BIOS Converter first before you update the BIOS.

The BIOS Converter is an ASUS-exclusive utility that allows you to convert the BIOS structure from .ROM
to .CAP for Windows 8 full-functionality.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download

System specification:-
Intel i7-3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
ASUS GTS450 DirectCU
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB x 4
Corsair AX1200

EDIT: The BIOS Flashback help page has also been updated to include CAP upgrades:

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/
53 REPLIES 53

lenehan
Level 10
Good video guide for RIVE user not sure the procedure. Thank you.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you this was really needed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Can you post a movie guide how to roll back to 1404 or earlier version?)

Dartmaul wrote:

Flash back guide please refer to here. Not a video. But a very detail written by mod HiVizMan.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack&country=&status=
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

lenehan
Level 10
Can the mod make it sticky. Thank you.

PALADiN
Level 7
Is this going to roll out to other boards such as the P8Z68-V PRO?

Also, what's the difference between the ROM and CAP structures?
Desktop:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (BIOS version 3402) | Core i5 2500K @ 4GHz | 4GB GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2x2GB) | Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB | ASUS Xonar D2X | WD 1TB HDD (WD1002FAEX) | LG CH10LS20 (Blu-ray/DVD-RW combo drive) | Corsair HX650 | Samsung 2333SW @ 1920x1080 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G500

Laptop:
ASUS G73JH (Core i7 720QM, 8GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD5870, 2x500GB HDD, 17.3" @ 1920x1080)

Dartmaul wrote:

It is not possible to roll back to earlier version after CAP conversion.

PALADiN wrote:
Is this going to roll out to other boards such as the P8Z68-V PRO?

Also, what's the difference between the ROM and CAP structures?

The CAP conversion is necessary for Windows 8 full-functionality.
At the moment, we have yet to receive a word for P67/Z68 MB. 😄

TL@ASUS wrote:
It is not possible to roll back to earlier version after CAP conversion.

It's possible, to Flash Back to 1xxx.ROM, rename 1xxx.rom to ERALL.ROM and use USB Flashback 😉

When I flashed the bios 2003, I used the file "CAP Converter" in the first, and at the end of the update, I had directly bios 2003 (no need to install bios 2003. cap)
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
It's possible, to Flash Back to 1xxx.ROM, rename 1xxx.rom to ERALL.ROM and use USB Flashback 😉

When I flashed the bios 2003, I used the file "CAP Converter" in the first, and at the end of the update, I had directly bios 2003 (no need to install bios 2003. cap)

Ahh my bad, didn't know the trick.
Thanks for the heads-up