cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a replacement R4E motherboard

croseiv
Level 7
Greetings fellow ROGers,

I have two questions regarding the R4E motherboard.

First, I will be installing a new replacemnt R4E motherboard. I was using one up until four days ago where I damaged some pins on the Socket.

The first question is: Will I have to re-install the RAID 0 driver (I'm running RAID 0 SSDs) with the new motherboard, or can I just hook everthing up and go since I was already using a R4E?

Also, Is ir possible to get a replacement socket for my other damaged R4E board? If so, how much would it cost?
7 REPLIES 7

InnervateD
Level 10
1. You'll need to go back into your BIOS and re-enable the RAID option before it'll attempt to recongnize your RAID array.

2. You won't be able to replace the Socket on a board, it's best to RMA the board. But usually if you damaged the PINs on a board, that's considered physical damage on the user end and voids warranty, but if you call ASUS I think you can still RMA the board, but it may cost you some money to pay for the repairs which is you really just sending it in and they will send you a replacement board.

SonyHD
Level 7
croseiv wrote:
Greetings fellow ROGers,

The first question is: Will I have to re-install the RAID 0 driver (I'm running RAID 0 SSDs) with the new motherboard, or can I just hook everthing up and go since I was already using a R4E?

Set the SATA RAID in the bios.
That's all.
It's just like, your SSD, opened on another PC.
1. RIVE BIOS (3105)
i7 3930K C2
SLI GTX 680 DC II TOP
16GB Team Xtreem 2600MHz (10-12-12-31)
2. MVE BIOS (1605)
i7 3770K
16GB Team Xtreem 2600MHz (10-12-12-31)
SLI GTX 680 DC II TOP

Thanks for the information. I'm glad I won't have to re-install the RAID 0 drivers. Do you know how much it would cost for socket repair?

InnervateD
Level 10
Can't say for sure. I don't imagine it being more than $100-200, keep in mind this is for a top end board. That's just a guess. I would just RMA the board and see where you can go with ASUS and getting a replacement.

May I ask how you damaged the PINs on a R4E?

Dartmaul
Level 12
Can we have some pics of damaged socket?

Two times in my life I was in same situation. In both times I've solved the problem with "agility of my own hands"
If you could post some photos I'll try to give you some advice how to fix it (if possible).

SUKARA
Level 10
About repair and service problem,i suggest you can try to contact asus service center...

under the link is asus service center contact information:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

HiVizMan
Level 40
If the pin (socket) damage is not to extreme then you could fix it yourself, or pay a jeweller with a workshop to do the job for you. Simply use a very thin blade or a needle to gently shift the pin back into position. A steady hand and good eyesight is needed. If you do decide to try yourself, take your tame and shift the pins in small increments back into alignment, not one big movement.

As has been said post up a high res image of your socket, it is best to take a number of images from different angles to get a clear idea of the damage.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.