cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power question

rmilyard
Level 7
On my RIVE I have the 24 pin power hookup. On the top of board I have the 8 pin power. Should I also hook up the 4 pin next to it?

Without it seems to be running fine but hooking it up gain me anything? I can do it easy since I have room to wire it.
7 REPLIES 7

Dartmaul
Level 12
8 and 4 power pins are both for CPU. Use 8-pin it's better.
(actually don't know why there's 4-pin on this board when you can plug 4-pin cable into 8-pin slot but anyway)

InnervateD
Level 10
I'm pretty sure the 4Pin is there to stabalize and add additional power if needed for Overclocks and the over all power usage of the motherboard for say a fully loaded board with all it's connections maxed out. In the manual it states it recommends both 4 and 8pins to be plugged in or your system will not boot, but I think that's more to make sure all your bases are covered. I would just plug it in.

8_Pack
Level 12
Hook up both!!

The power draw is then shared evenly across all the fets and then more stable power is applied. Spreading the load makes sense!!!!

rmilyard
Level 7
Interesting. My manual says use 8 pin or 4.

SUKARA
Level 10
If you want to used the oc setting,i suggest hoop up both...

Ok. I will do it.

SUKARA@ASUS wrote:
If you want to used the oc setting,i suggest hoop up both...

Zka17
Level 16
By connecting both the 8 and 4 pins, you will stabilize the power... it won't draw more juice than it needs anyway...