New ROGer Array

Questions about Warranty and Repasting

So recently I've decided that I should repaste and clean out my g73jw as standard maintenance after over a year and a half of use. I have a few questions after doing some research that are specific to my case:

Are CPU/GPU temperatures of 86-88C/93C under loadnormal for my system without a cooling pad? I used BurnInTest for the CPU stress test, and FurMark for the GPU. Both tests were ran for just over 10minutes, where I saw temperatures plateau for about 4 minutes. Idle temperatures are 68 for the cpu and 58 for the gpu.

Will my 2 year global warranty cover routine maintenance for repasting and cleaning? I was under the impression that my warranty was to be used in the event of something going wrong, and not necessarily maintenance.

Should I get it services at a local shop, and if I do so, will it void my warranty? I've read mixed things about this; some say that if it is not damaged, you warranty is fine. Others say that repasting always voids warranty. I'd like to get it serviced in front of me where I can watch, and probably learn a thing or two first hand. I've also heard horror stories about Asus RMA, and how damage could be blamed on me and just be a real headache, not to mention if they paste it carelessly like I've heard they do.
    Last edited by Lethals; 08-17-2012 at 12:20 AM.

If you take your laptop a to Authorized Asus Service center

http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Wa...NSP/index.html

They will be able to repaste without concern of voiding the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethals View Post
    So recently I've decided that I should repaste and clean out my g73jw as standard maintenance after over a year and a half of use. I have a few questions after doing some research that are specific to my case:

Are CPU/GPU temperatures of 86-88C/93C under loadnormal for my system without a cooling pad? I used BurnInTest for the CPU stress test, and FurMark for the GPU. Both tests were ran for just over 10minutes, where I saw temperatures plateau for about 4 minutes. Idle temperatures are 68 for the cpu and 58 for the gpu.

Will my 2 year global warranty cover routine maintenance for repasting and cleaning? I was under the impression that my warranty was to be used in the event of something going wrong, and not necessarily maintenance.

Should I get it services at a local shop, and if I do so, will it void my warranty? I've read mixed things about this; some say that if it is not damaged, you warranty is fine. Others say that repasting always voids warranty. I'd like to get it serviced in front of me where I can watch, and probably learn a thing or two first hand. I've also heard horror stories about Asus RMA, and how damage could be blamed on me and just be a real headache, not to mention if they paste it carelessly like I've heard they do.

No, those temps are high. Repasting voids warranty, though ASUS might be willing to do it for you, considering that your computer is still under warranty. I haven't heard those horror stories, though there is the potential that it would take quite a long time.

Great work @shawnnepc! +1 rep!
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnnepc View Post
    If you take your laptop a to Authorized Asus Service center

http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Wa...NSP/index.html

They will be able to repaste without concern of voiding the warranty.
    Thanks! I think i'm going to hold off. I cleaned out the ventilation, and i'm seeing a 13C+ improvement under full load. Now that my temps aren't so high, I'd rather not send it in and wait because I need it for school. Do you think I should still think about repasting? I topped out at 79C for my GPU and about 70C for my CPU. I live in Canada, and as far as I can tell, the nearest center is 8 hours away in NY : ( My last RMA for a power adapter was over a week, so I'd hate to think how long I'd be without, lol.
    Last edited by Lethals; 08-17-2012 at 07:10 PM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

In a warm room (common here in Penticton,BC) at ambient T=25C (78F) when blasting all four cores with 8 threads of my fortran routines I see the CPU top out at 70C in Linux. No need to be concerned about your new CPU temps; looks like the cleaning of the vents is all you needed. As for the GPU, not sure what is normal, but under 80 seems excellent too.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40