cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Build Advice

Stig01
Level 7
Hi,

I'm new to building computers and want to know what peoples thoughts were on the below system. I'll be using it for gaming and HD video editing. I've already got a 1TB HDD I'll use with this.

CPU - AMD FX8150 with Liquid Cooler
MB - Asus Crosshair V Formula
RAM - Corsair Vengence 8GB (2x4GB) 1866MHz
GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7850
Case - Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
PSU - Coolmaster GX650
SSD - Corsair 120GB Force GT
Optical Drive - Sony 24x DVD RW
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Is 650W PSU for this system?
Is this a good system for gaming and hd video editing?

Thanks,
Stig
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
up the PSU to a 850W since your going liquid cooling ( i guess its the hydro series? ( like the H60 or H80 or H100? ) )
video editing i have not done so i can not confirm that but for gaming your on good grounds 🙂

The_Nemesis
Level 10
Your build looks great! lots of quality parts there. 650 watts if fine for your system even with a mild overclock. I'm more partial to corsair or antec units below the 1000w range and would suggest 750w. I'm not sure how much the coolermaster unit you are looking at costs in your area but look it to comparing it vs 750w and other brands. If budget is an issue go for DDR3-1600. You won't see much difference in 1600 vs 1866 for day to day gaming and video editing on that setup. More psu just gives you a larger upgrade path should you chose to upgrade or add another video card.
Praetor
» i7 990X 3101A239
» Asus Rampage III Black Edition
» Asus GTX 470 & 570 Tri-SLI or Three Sapphire 5850's CFX
» 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF
» Corsiar Force Series 180GB
» CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
» Microcool Banchetto 101
Defiant
» G74SX » 16GB ram » Corsiar Force Series 180GB » 750GB Seagate » Blu-ray

The cooler is an amd branded one and comes with the cpu. but its basically the same as the antec kuhler H2O 920.

The reason I went for the 650w was because it comes with the case for £112. Saving £30.
I'll have a look at more powerfull PSU, and see if my budget can stretch to one.

lenehan
Level 10
Sorry, correct me if I am wrong. 8GB RAM for HD VIdeo editing?
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

lenehan wrote:
Sorry, correct me if I am wrong. 8GB RAM for HD VIdeo editing?

This, I wouldn't consider this option. I would go atleast with 16gb and if the budget allowed 32gb. Aspecially if you want to multitask or render. Besides RAM modules aren't to expansive to save it on that.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am familiar with both the case and the PSU, you will be fine as per your hardware list. If you ever plan on adding an additional VGA that will need a PSU upgrade but for now it is good to go.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
go whit hiviz

Zka17
Level 16
I also think that the mentioned components are good enough for gaming... - as for video editing... well, it depends on what level you will be doing it... if you feel that your system is slow, then get a bigger memory kit... or a second SSD for cashing... (do not use the SSD with OS for cashing during video editing as it may deteriorate it)

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you do go for additional ram it is always better to have one kit of 16GB and not mix and match regardless if buying the same brand and model. Just take my word on this one please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.