cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan/Exhaust heat

Skye
Level 7
I noticed that the fans/exhaust (aka the back of the laptop) were getting so hot when I play games is this bad?
I have a g53sx. Any idea how to help it cool? I am afraid it might burn out the gpu/cpu (dunno which one, but the one on the right is definitely hotter than the one on the left, but still both are heating up)
14 REPLIES 14

cl-scott
Level 12
It would be normal for the exhaust air to get warmer because the computer is working harder, so unfortunately without some specific temperature readings to go by, we're kind of limited to highly subjective measures. I would recommend starting with getting a temperature monitoring tool, and then you can give us some specifics to work off of. As a general rule, to kind of get you started, anything over about 65C is probably worth investigating. It's not necessarily a problem if it's higher, so don't freak out of you get 66-67C readings, but you have to set the bar somewhere.

Skye
Level 7
NVM
Downloaded HWMonitor.

Wil try to post results after a while. thanks.

cl-scott
Level 12
I'll be honest with you, I am not a big PC gamer, so I really am not the person to ask. I will let others make recommendations, and I'm sure with a little searching you could find some recommendations on your own.

While you're waiting, just make sure to do some of the usual things to keep laptops cool. Make sure you run it on a flat hard surface like a table. Make sure the vents are always clear of obstructions, and that there's a couple inches of clearance on all sides. I'd say 6 inches or about 15cm should be plenty. If it's kind of a hot day and you do not have any kind of air conditioning, then maybe it would be better to find something else to do.

Simple things like that will certainly help.

Skye
Level 7
After installing HWmonitor

CPU Core temps
Highest reached 75 C at max (not all)

For GPU
75 C (highest is 75 C as well)

*This is while playing Sleeping Dogs.

Matt_Horvath
Level 7
I'm not sure about this game, but when I play Battlefield 3 my G73SW-A1 goes up to 80ºC... sometimes 85ºC. I live in Brazil, so it's mainly hot all year long ( right now we're in the middle of winter and the daily temps are around 30~35ºC. I haven't had any kind of problems so far, so you might be ok. Some ppl here says that they sometimes blow some air on the rear vents to prevent dust 'accumulation' (spelling?), so you might check something like that.

accumulation is the correct spelling - no worries anyway...a lot of us around here have trouble with the finer points of English...too heavily accented with the language of nerd. :cool:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Skye
Level 7
Thank you Matt

Skye
Level 7
As of the last time i played, GPU temps topped at 75 C and plays around 73-75. CPU plays around 50-6x C

Is this fine?

Matt_Horvath
Level 7
Thanks Skye and Zygomorphic, and yes Skye I think this is pretty normal... like cl-scott pointed out up there, the room temperature will play an role on the overall temperature of your system.