cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH screen problem

Tindreal
Level 7
Hi!
I tried to use my old account, but it seems impossible, when I fill out the new required fields, the Asus webpage goes into an infinite loading loop, so I made a new account...

I have been using my G73JH for 2 years without any problem. Today I wanted to repaste it, but I wanted to check the current stock temps before applying new paste.
When I turned on my laptop I got this strange look on my screen:

I hope is nothing too serious, because I really need my laptop for work (the main reason why I bought this really expensive laptop so I could use it for years without the worry of the laptop faulting like the cheap ones) and I do not have money for a new computer or for any expensive parts (like VGA or motherboard) and the warranty has ended 3 months ago.

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thank you.

Question:
If I buy a new HANNSTAR HSD173PUW1 (or is there a better one?) panel and swap it with the current one, will that fix this issue?

The GPU is working without any problem. The picture quality is okay on an external monitor.

I was thinking of buying a new LCD screen panel, since I need my laptop. First I was thinking about getting another HANNSTAR HSD173PUW1, but then I realized that this panel is terrible. Faulty and color banding for a few examples.

I saw LG PHILIPS LP173WF1 TLB2 and LG PHILIPS LP173WF1 TLC1 for a cheap price. Any thoughts about this? In the past I was satisfied with LG panels. Btw, does anyone know what is the difference between C1 and B2? Does anyone know a better panel? Like, is the AU OPTRONICS B173HW01 V5 a better one?

Or the problem is not the panel at all?
7 REPLIES 7

dstrakele
Level 14
If you are going in for a repaste, try removing and re-seating the LVDS cable from the motherboard to see if it resolves your video issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

9 out of 10 times in the shop I work at it is the cable when the screen looks like that. So i'd re-seat the cable then replace the cable then go for the screen.

you can also try putting pressure at the top of the screen and see if that clears it up. If it does then it is the lcd.

dstrakele
Level 14
+1 @zortslowski!, for some good, real world troubleshooting info...

I checked the LVDS cable on both ends, pulled them out and reinserted it, but it did not fix the problem.

What should I do next? Buy a new cable or a new LCD? Any reason why should I buy a new cable, I mean what could get faulty in a cable that causes a problem like this? Everything was fine, I shut it down for the night and next morning when I open it it is like this...

ps: I applied pressure to the top-left of the screen where the lines are, did not do anything.

dstrakele
Level 14
When you say "...I shut it down for the night...", do you mean a complete shutdown or sleep'hibernation? Because when you say "...when I open it, it is like this..", it makes me think you are resuming the laptop rather than rebooting it.

Does this issue occur only from resume from sleep/hibernate or does it also occur from a cold boot?

I'm assuming you get this issue regardless of how you start the system. Your troubleshooting to date has indicated the problem is likely in the cable or the laptop display. You have to eliminate the cable or the display to move ahead. Eliminating the cable as the cause is the less expensive way to proceed. You'd hate it if you replaced the screen and found out it was a bad LVDS cable, wouldn't you?

LVDS cables get flexed as the laptop lid is opened and closed. It could cause a wire within to break and lose contact.

I always completely shut down the laptop. I tried completely uninstalling the display driver too and try the Standard VGA driver, but it did not make any difference.

I was installing Windows updates after a clean install, but it was already too late, so I canceled it and shut down the laptop hoping to continue tommorow morning, but next time when I powered on the laptop, I got this.

Strange thing is that I already seen "symptons" before. 2 or 3 months now rarely when I turned the machine on (about 1 out of 10 times), I got the same strange looking screen at the Asus logo, but everything went back to normal at the WIndows 7 boot logo. What does this mean?

I am hesitating because some friends said that this is not LVDS cable problem, at least it is to "brutal" to be a cable problem and they never saw something liek this before...

xeromist
If you have an external monitor that is working for the time being then I would start with the cable as it is cheaper. I would inspect the cable to see if you can discern any damage but you might just have to replace it and see what happens.

If you do decide to replace the panel then make sure it comes with a cable or that you buy one. No sense installing a new panel and not replacing the cheaper part while you're at it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…