cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying my first G75

peterleerule
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I've been a fan of the ROG series since they came out a few years ago. I finally decided to get the g75. I am purchasing the G75VW-NS71 from newegg.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408&Tpk=asus%20g75vw-ns71

I am from canada so I bought from the newegg.ca website. I haven't received the laptop but I am worried from all the things i've seen on the forum about issues regarding the g75.

I hope the laptop arrives perfectly and works just fine. I just hate to have to deal with a return or a repair.

I looked on the newegg website and its says I can't return the laptop if its opened. Now if it was defective will I be able to return it and get a new one?

I am really looking forward to this laptop and I'm just worried like heck from what i've read from this forum.

Issues regarding the audio and the heat system are scaring me.
11 REPLIES 11

Blackmoor
Level 7
Best of luck to ya. I've had no major issues with mine in the 3 months of ownership.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
You should be able to return if defective, the point is that you can't return it if opened if it is working. Broken laptops I think have a 30-day return policy. One thing to note: The Perfect Hardware Support Group 😉 has 33 members last I checked (I run the group), so there are people in the group with working G75's. Another note: a lot of the threads repeat some of the same problems, and the majority of people who come to the forum are trying to get their problems solved. The people with working hardware often have no reason to post (though a few do :D) We are happy to help, and the @ASUS guys (@cl-scott too) are more than willing to help if you need an RMA. Sometimes, if time is pressed, they will make sure you are top on the list to get something replaced. How is that for service?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Hello fellow Canadian ROGer

I ordered the exact model from newegg 2 weeks ago, I chose the ns71 over the ncix model due to the extra ram. First it took about a week to ship to Toronto ( mine came from NJ warehouse). Secondly I immediately installed an ssd to the spare hd bay ( Crucial M4 128gb 99bucks from ncix) and did a complete fresh install from my own win7 disc. I would suggest you do a fresh install regardless of installing an sd or not. All drivers were installed from DVD except for graphics and audio which I got online. I had some minor issues such as system freezes, but that went away after I disabled hibernation completely. So far so good, the NS71 does have a very noisy optical drive that randomly spins up, so I disabled it from Power4Gear under ODD.

Don't worry, people only come and post here when they have problems, and sometimes it's PEBCAC. I had my trusty g73 for 2 years and hopefully the 75 will last just as long!

GL HF!

I just got my laptop. I love it!

I feel that the left speaker is louder than the right speaker! Any way i can fix this issue?

c_man
Level 11
It's complicated.

Your system has 2 front (under the screen) speakers and one "subwoofer".

The front speakers seem to be on a different low power amplified circuit.

The subwoofer is on the left, has plenty of power and seems to be a self amplified speaker that will output ~ 100 - 1000 Hz. 1000Hz is way too much for a subwoofer and there is an unbalanced audio experience. Instead of great bass, you get plenty of mids.

See the link in my sig for Sound drivers and settings.

I would Advise against that one. The GTX 670 is a Fermi card and i would go with a GTX660 since its a kepler and overclocked to pretty close to a GTX675 and the temps are really low. But for that price i would check out some other offerings from MSI or Sager as the G75 is only worth about $1,200 at most anything more and theirs much better options out there.

My main beef is with the lack of ports, Lack of features, sub par keyboard and audio and Asus support is pretty bad.

I will say the laptop had a great cooling system. Comes apart pretty easy and the fans are very easy to get to and clan and this is something that should be set up one every notebook. The screen use is pretty nice and above the standard displays used in most notebooks but its still nothing like a high end IPS.

Raid works well on the laptop. They do give you mounting screws and a caddy if the system only comes with one drive. My G73 they did not do this so adding another hdd or ssd on the G75 is pretty quick.

One of my issues with this system also is the lack of a usb 2.0 port. If you do not have recovery dvd's or windows 7 dvd with upto date drives if you have to reformat you will be stuck to pulling drivers off a SD card as thats the only thing that will really work.

Go with a GT650m or a GTX660m all and all they are better cards than the older GTX670 and overclock to 1.1ghz pretty easy and will be faster than a GTX670m and from my use the overclocked GTX660m ran cooler than my stock clocked GTX675m and performance was about dead even.

And last but not least. When compared to my Samsung Cronus 7 with one SSD "samsung 830" and the G75 with 2 X Samsung 830's the boot time is ungodly slow even with a fresh install. However if you head over to Samsung and go to the drivers/softare page you can download and install samsung easy settings and quickly do some tweeks with that program that will greatly improve boot times as well as offer some easy accesses to other features you can use.

Overall i give the G75 7/10 rating. and wil only recamend it at the $1,200 price tag if the person can not get any more money and must have a 17 inch laptop. If Asus would unlock the bio's and offer some overclocking even some very min. clocks and unlock the graphic card clocks it would bump it upto a 8.5/10. The cooling system can handle it i dont see why they wont unlock it. Alienware does and their cooling systems and quality is pretty low.

c_man
Level 11
First of all you guys need to stop telling stories about how bad Fermi cards are.

If you want to compare things, do it on a big scale and with the same products. Let me give you an example. In here there are people getting temps in G75 from under 70 to plus 90°C for GPU. Same GPU. OK, let's say you have one that has a high temp and you compare it to whatever has a normal temp. You would say that Asus GPU is so bad, right. Wrong, since it's not.

I have proved that Fermi are a few degrees hotter. I had both 660M and 670M. They are not miles away hotter. If you have a loptop with a very hot Fermi, laptop has a poor or defective cooling system.

Second, 660M will do very high numbers only if you trick the card to do so. If anything goes wrong (there are already guys trying to reset the modded BIOS without success and a few days ago I saw the first 660M bricked, nothing worked to resurect the card), you say bye bye to warranty and it will be one expensive fix. 670M will not have this problem. This does not mean one is better than other, just that it's not as easy as bad things can happen and some people want to play on the safe side.

Third, Asus does not lock the card, Nvidia does and they must have a reason for this. My guess is based on what Nvidia does everytime. One great GPU and on that they release OC versions as new ones over time. So there is a good chance for a 665M or what ever, with at least 670M performance or more. There is a huge gap 'till 680M, but I don't think they want to squize 3 GPUs in it, so makes more sense to have a +670M and a +675M.

4th, I have no idea why OC options I have in G55 BIOS are not in G75 BIOS. I have asked in here, but no one from Asus told me anything at all. So they do have some options, but not for G75. Maybe if more people complain about this, they will release a BIOS update with those options active.

Sub par keyboard? Not at all. All G75 I have tested had excellent keyboard.

Good screen? Maybe the 3D one. Or if the screen itself is good (well, decent), what we see is a big problem that needs to be solved.

Speakers, yes, terrible. But they have to sell N76, right? Listen to that baby. Yes, for this I would like to kick someone at Asus every now and then.

What slow boot? It's under 10s. How fast should it be? It's 25s with it's original SSH, I find that fast as well. If the problem was the SSD, it's not Asus.

Clevos are good laptops, I have one as well. Don't like MSI at all. Never had a Samsung, can't tell much. The one with 675M in it was like twice the money I've paid for G75, so ...

I agree with 7/10.

kiba
Level 10
^haha, c_man hates when ppl rag on the 670m. 😛

i have seen a good 12°C difference between the two under heavy load for an extended time in furmark (and this is with the bad drivers that dont allow the 660m to spool up/throttle all the way), sitting right next to each other, twice, w/ different G75's. IMO the 660m handles running a heavy load better for an extended time. but thats not to say that the 670m isnt a good card, fermi's are older, but theyre excellent beefy cards, and theyre proven.

but i can agree to disagree, everyones entitled to their opinions.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.