cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Build

Brian_Rule
Level 7
Hello, I need some help. Im planing on building my own gaming PC and this is my first time my computer is like 4 years old now and when im playing Tera online the graphics is not really that good anymore. I want a gaming pc that i could play with Blade and Soul and Guildwars 2 when they come out. im a total newbie i dont know much about computers all i know is playing games 😄 .I was planning on buying an alienware aurora or a Asus Tytan CG8890 but i cant find anyone selling a CG8890. And i heard some horrors about alienware that they suck really bad.
22 REPLIES 22

Brian_Rule
Level 7
Components

Processors: Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboards: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Storage: 160gb Intel Sata3 SSD
Memories: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D-SR2)2x4
Graphic Cards: Asus GTX680 DCII Top 2gb ddr5 256bit
Power Supplies: Thermaltake GRAND 80+ GOLD 750w
Optical Drive: Samsung SE-S084
Audio Cards: Creative SB X-FI Xtreme audio PCIE
Chassis: Antec Dark Fleet DF-85
Gaming Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Gaming Mouse: Razer Naga
Fans: Thermaltake Frio OCK
Coolants: Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid Cooling
Lan Card: Zyxel GN680T Gigabit Lan card
Software: Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Anti Virus: McAfee Total Protection 2012 OEM

kkn
Level 14
looks like a good build, if you want to you can try and hold off the audio card and see what the onboard sound is first, that way you can save a few bucks if so.
for the OS drive, try and keep it as low as posible ( the fill rate on it )
and drop the lan card since the mobo have built in lan port/card.
for the cooler i would go for a H60 or above ( or you can go air cooling whit the Noctua NH-D14 ( BUTT you have to ask around and see if it fits becouse of screencard and memory there can be a tight squeeze or conflict ) i dont have it my self so i can not say if it fits or not )

Zka17
Level 16
The only problem with your plans, Brian Rule, is that the suggested CPU, the i7-3930k, is not good in that mobo.... the motherboard can house LGA1155 CPUs, while the i7-3930k is LGA2011...

If I would be you, I would step up with the mobo and go with the Maximus V series... the MVG is perfect if you don't want a lot of PCIe slots (more than 2 way SLI/Crossfire), MVF for gaming and MVE for OC'ing... - all of these mobos goes very well with the i7-3770K... (or you can even go lower on the CPU....)

And yes, if you want to enjoy your life, stay away from Alienware...

Zka17 wrote:
The only problem with your plans, Brian Rule, is that the suggested CPU, the i7-3930k, is not good in that mobo.... the motherboard can house LGA1155 CPUs, while the i7-3930k is LGA2011...

If I would be you, I would step up with the mobo and go with the Maximus V series... the MVG is perfect if you don't want a lot of PCIe slots (more than 2 way SLI/Crossfire), MVF for gaming and MVE for OC'ing... - all of these mobos goes very well with the i7-3770K... (or you can even go lower on the CPU....)

Exactly.
Then there is that 'walk on the wild side', AMD.
CrossHair V Formula-Z / 7970/7990? / DominatorGT 2133 -- 1100T if you can find one. (my2c)

AlienWare .... hahhahahhahaha .c.

Zka17 wrote:

Zka17, how about this build? is my power supply to much or i should just go with the 850watts? oh and what do you mean by SLI?

Processors: Intel Core i7-3770K (3.5G) 8mb 22nm
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
HDD: 160gb Intel Sata3 SSD
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D) 2x4
VGA: Asus GTX680 DCII Top 2gb ddr5 256bit
PSU: Aerocool Strike-X 80PLUS Gold 1100watts
Optical Drive: Asus 24x 24B3ST
Cooling: CoolerMaster V8
Case: AeroCool StrikeX GT

Brian Rule wrote:
Zka17, how about this build? is my power supply to much or i should just go with the 850watts? oh and what do you mean by SLI?

Processors: Intel Core i7-3770K (3.5G) 8mb 22nm
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
HDD: 160gb Intel Sata3 SSD
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D) 2x4
VGA: Asus GTX680 DCII Top 2gb ddr5 256bit
PSU: Aerocool Strike-X 80PLUS Gold 1100watts
Cooling: CoolerMaster V8
Case: AeroCool StrikeX GT

Well, the SLI was explained - thanks kkn! 🙂

A good, higher rated (gold or platinum) PSU will be enough at 850W... if you want to use multiple graphic cards, then you may need a bigger one... - but right now, you're fine

Although the 3770k with the Maximus IV combo may fly... I still would upgrade the mobo to the Maximus V series with the Ivy Bridge CPU... if you stick to the Maximus IV, I would rather go with the Sandy Bridge CPUs... - the i5-2500k is the best price/function choice, but you may go higher to 2600k, even 2700k...

Need help! I want to build a rig with these on it:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K (3.5G) 8mb 22nm
Mobo: Asus Maximus V Formula
HDD: 160gb Intel Sata3 SSD + 1 TB WD Black 64mb SATA3 7200rpm
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16gb 1600 (12800CL10D) 2x8
VGA: Asus GTX670 DCII 2gb ddr5 256bit
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850w
Cooling: CoolerMaster X6
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper

Any suggestions? Hehe 😄

Zka17 wrote:

Ha ha. Owned an older Alienware (P2 chassis) and had no issues.
However, this is probably true of the new Alienware after Dell bought them. I heard some of the original Alienware founders started up a new boutique enthusiast build company called OriginPC.

Once you build your own though, you won't need someone else to build them for you ever again, as there's no price or performance advantage as long as you have the right help. You are already getting some of that support from one community of superb builders and enthusiasts, here on the R-O-G forums.

Be patient and have fun with it. We enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
A Republic of Gamers heart.

The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

rog_sinx
Level 7
is it possible to mount the h100 push pull 4 fans to Maximus V formula and using this case corsair 600T?