cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 SSD 480 Gb

Clintlgm
Level 14
Has anyone installed a Intel 520 480GB SSD In a G75vw DS72?, I'm not up on SSD at all. My G75 has a Lite on 256 gb which is doing fine for me. This is the first SSD I have had my hands on. However with the 2 partitions and my C: drive 75% full already I'm concerned about long term reliability. Any tips for installing would be greatly appricated. My current thoughts are since it would be SSD to SSD I could use Acronis disk director to copy disk to disk and expand the Partitions at the same time. Would there be any driver issues? Controler issues? I have read on here that there were some issues with Samsung SSD's. I have't seen anything on Intel SSD's.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro
6 REPLIES 6

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Dang I am jealous ... yes that should be a top of the line super reliable drive.

Personally I would just use Win 7 to create a system image of current SSD and using a Win install disk that has SP1 on it already recover to your new Intel 520.

I would follow that up by resizing partitions and use the Intel SSD toolbox to optimize.

Thanks for the advice John. I don't like putting out that much money for a hard drive either. However I work remotely on ships 2 to 12 weeks at a time. And if it breaks out there I'm screwed as this is my only computer its more of a desktop replacement than a gamer for me. I just spent a month configuring this with my software drivers etc. I'm hoping to just image it to the new drive and expand the partitions at the same time. I know we could do that With Partition Magic. Not sure that old program will work with the new hard drives. I do believe I can with Acronis Disk Director. I'll read up on Win 7 Disk Management. If I could move some empty space on 😧 to C: that would get me out of the bind I'm in at present at least until I can better afford the Intel 520:o
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I'll read up on Win 7 Disk Management. If I could move some empty space on 😧 to C: that would get me out of the bind I'm in at present at least until I can better afford the Intel 520:o

OK ... so your only installed drive is 256 gb SSD and you just want to get more space onto C partition asap?

If correct that's pretty easy ... lots of good cheap or even free partitioning software ... I like this one and home edition is free ... partitionwizard free ...

You just go into GUI and start making changes ... click Apply ... if the changes require a script to be run during a reboot the tool can handle that also.

Make sure you do some kind of full backup first just in case!

Well John, No I have a 256 ssd C: and 😧 a 750 SATA E: and F:, But Yes I do want to move some of the empty space from 😧 To C:, I'll take your advice and give partitionwizard a shot after grabbing a Image of Disk 0. I am going to put in a Intel 520 soon. With some more empty space on C: I'll have a little time to recover from the cost of this notebook to take the plunge. As I don't see this 256 ssd lasting very long, more than a year or so with that much data being written to it daily. And I may be offshore when I start seeing my space shrinking. Again I really appricate your input and advise.:)
So as far as we know there are no know issues with the G75 and Intel 520 SSD's, Since it is sandforce there should be no controler issues?
Thanks to everyone on here, my G75 is working almost perfectly. Its the most bad ass notebook I've ever had. Thanks everyone for your time and advice:)
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

rewben
Level 13
just read an article at hardware.fr (http://www.hardware.fr/articles/862-7/ssd.html), notably ocz has the highest return rate to factory 😕

- Crucial 0,82% (contre 0,8%)
- Intel 1,73% (contre 0,1%)
- Corsair 2,93% (contre 2,9%)
- OCZ 7,03% (contre 4,2%)

ah there was a translated version already, http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-7/components-returns-rates-6.html

Hmm, interesting article. I'm wondering who actually manufactures the Lite On SSD, some of us have in our G75?
:confused:
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro