cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Win8 drivers/software for G55/G75?

X-ROG
Level 15
The ASUS download page for official Win 8 drivers for G55 and G75 models will be updated on Win 8 launch day in Oct.

I know some of you are testing the 90 day RTM now but the software dev team is not ready before the general launch sorry, although there are drivers out for main hardware such as the Nvidia GPU, Intel chipset etc.
10 REPLIES 10

Techinstein
Level 9
So is this the answer to one of my post. The question was.
SoI got my G75VW-BBK5 and I well be getting windows 8 for $14.99 , but well the ASUS/ROG functionalities still be on it like the ASUS Resource center and all of those be working, when it comes out along with the drivers?

My machine: G75VW-BBK5 with Windows 8 Pro :cool:

My YouTube: EpicTechinsteinTime

Techinstein wrote:
So is this the answer to one of my post.

You are the Techinstein!

Seriously most of us would recommend staying away from Windows 8 on a machine that is working well with Win 7. At least for a long time after the initial release of Win 8 ...

If you "must" enjoy Windows 8 then the best recommendation is to pull out your existing hard drive and run Win 8 on a totally separate drive so you don't mess up your own backyard.

Unless you want to spend a whole bunch of time unhappy about "this not working and that not working" ... etc.

Just my opinion.

john_from_ohio wrote:
You are the Techinstein!

Seriously most of us would recommend staying away from Windows 8 on a machine that is working well with Win 7. At least for a long time after the initial release of Win 8 ...

If you "must" enjoy Windows 8 then the best recommendation is to pull out your existing hard drive and run Win 8 on a totally separate drive so you don't mess up your own backyard.

Unless you want to spend a whole bunch of time unhappy about "this not working and that not working" ... etc.

Just my opinion.

I agree, you should stay away!
I had W8 for one week then reverted back to W7
(I got that $14.99 deal too!, like most with high hopes!)

PS: Maybe I will try W8.1
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

BrandeX
Level 9
I'm going to get 8 Pro for $15 while I can too. Whether or not I will install it right away...

BrandeX wrote:
I'm going to get 8 Pro for $15 while I can too. Whether or not I will install it right away...

You are not the only one! Probably will check it out for a long time running in a vm ...

I have been an early adopter of every Windows OS since Windows 95! I've looked at Windows 8 and there are some cute things about it, but it is harder to find stuff, takes more clicking and I just don't like it. That being said, I checked for people benchmark-ing it and the results are what I expected....not much difference. It looks to me like a tablet GUI on Windows 7. I base this on examining the underlying files.

I won't be installing this anytime soon...even at $15!

tkolarik wrote:
I have been an early adopter of every Windows OS since Windows 95! I've looked at Windows 8 and there are some cute things about it, but it is harder to find stuff, takes more clicking and I just don't like it. That being said, I checked for people benchmark-ing it and the results are what I expected....not much difference. It looks to me like a tablet GUI on Windows 7. I base this on examining the underlying files.

I won't be installing this anytime soon...even at $15!

As another early Windows adopter with all of the previous OSes, you really need to take time with Windows 8 to appreciate the changes. Sure, there's not going to be a massive performance increase between W7 and W8, but the sum of changes are definitely worth it.

You may not like Metro, fine, I rarely find the need to use it either, but the revamped task manager, file copy dialogs, and other tweaks definitely are improvements over W7's version.

Is it worth a hefty monetary investment? Probably not, but at $15 and the desire to be working with the new interface because, let's face it, Microsoft isn't going to be undoing this interface change for future OSes, it's worth getting used to.

Personally, I get all MS software free due to being a Microsoft Partner, so it was a no brainer. That said, not just as a Microsoft fanboy but as a tech savvy individual, the Metro interface is definitely the future of Windows. As more and more application developers come out with Metro interfaces to their applications, users will find their usage to become more and more similar between devices (tablets/phones/computers - if using MS devices) and Metro will become much more useful.

I will say that if you are hesitating switching to Windows 8, functionally it runs very well on the G75. I have run it since the day the RTM build was released and performance and stability have been perfect. I have not had a single OS crash since my installation (aside from learning that the Atheros drivers do not play well with Windows 8 - I am using the Windows version now).

My G55VW-DH71 has pre-installed Win 8 so... 😄

Well,

I still can't seem to get the Atheros BT drivers installed and functional under Win8 on my G75. Anyone have any advice / suggestions on how to do that?

Mark