cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage IV extreme or Maximus Formula V ?

LukeeVassallo
Level 7
Hi, I am new to this Forum, um i need some help build my first pc, I already got an look @ reviews and benchmarks of these components but still not sure.

Cpu: Intel 3770k / 3820
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV extreme / Maximus Formula V
Memory: 8gb, Dominator platinum 2133mhz / Dominator Gt 2133mhz
Hdd: Intel 520 series or Corsair Force ?
Power supply: Corsair 850w
Case Corsair: carbide 300R
GPU: Nvidia 590
Sound card: Still looking for one with HD codecs for precise audio ( mostly for movies )

I don't know which I am goning for Lga 1155 or 2011, mostly because of the cpu the 3820, 3930 etc are Pci Express revision 2.0 and the ivy bridge 3770k is 3.0, in gaming performance the 3.0 is much better.

Thanks for your help 🙂
| Maximus V Formula | i7-3770k | 16Gb Dominator Platinum | GTX 780 | Force 240Gb | 2TB Caviar Green | Obsidian 650D | AX850 | H100 | 24" LED VS247H |
14 REPLIES 14

The_Nemesis
Level 10
I would opt for the Maximus V build. I have both but for gaming and later video card upgrades I'd go with Ivy bridge. It has newer more efficient processing power. Sandy Bridge -E is awesome but unless you do a lot of memory intensive tasks not better or worse for gaming vs Ivy.
Praetor
» i7 990X 3101A239
» Asus Rampage III Black Edition
» Asus GTX 470 & 570 Tri-SLI or Three Sapphire 5850's CFX
» 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF
» Corsiar Force Series 180GB
» CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
» Microcool Banchetto 101
Defiant
» G74SX » 16GB ram » Corsiar Force Series 180GB » 750GB Seagate » Blu-ray

I would go with the Maximus V Formula. Ivy Bridge preforms bit better for most desktop tasks, Sandy Bridge-E really only wins on memory intensive tasks. As for the Intel of Corsair SSD, Corsair is going to probably a bit less expensive, but Intel has more rigorous validation. So that one has to bit your call.

If the choice of the GTX 590 is about price, I would suggest you might want to consider with a GTX 680. It will be cooler and use less power, and unless you really need the power of dual a GPU.

The Carbide 300R is an ATX size case, the Maximus V Formula is an Extended ATX Form Factor, it runs .6" deeper into the case (from the back panel) then a standard ATX. A longer optical drive might be a problem. You should ask around on the Corsair forums about that.

Thanks guys, really appreciate :))
| Maximus V Formula | i7-3770k | 16Gb Dominator Platinum | GTX 780 | Force 240Gb | 2TB Caviar Green | Obsidian 650D | AX850 | H100 | 24" LED VS247H |

As far as "future proofing" goes, would the x79 be a better choice so that you could eventually upgrade to the Ivy-E chip? Or does everyone think the Haswell chipset is going to make both the Ivy and Sandy chipsets obsolete?

Aniraf wrote:
As far as "future proofing" goes, would the x79 be a better choice so that you could eventually upgrade to the Ivy-E chip? Or does everyone think the Haswell chipset is going to make both the Ivy and Sandy chipsets obsolete?

Maybe it's just me, but I dont see x79 being obsolete until DDR4 or Haswell-E is out.
Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD

Xaanix wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I dont see x79 being obsolete until DDR4 or Haswell-E is out.

Yes, but the x79 boards of today will need to be rebuilt in order to support Haswell-E and DDR4. So the chipset will be solid, but the actual hardware will be too old to stay competitive with the mid-range chipsets unless they make changes. That alone makes it seem like the "buy it tomorrow" choice is Maximus V.

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, 3770k with the Maximus v Formula...

Just double-check that 300R if the suggested mobos will fit in it... I have a feeling that will be a tight fit...

Xaanix
Level 7
Nobody knows how haswell will compare with ivy bridge-e. There are probably those like me that believe that intel intentionally crippled ivy bridge with TIM so as not to allow it to compete with their enthusiast segment (SB-E on x79). Those folks would by correlation believe that intel will similarly sabotage haswell so as not to allow it to compete with ivy bridge-e. Then there are those who believe that the 'enthusiast' chipsets are just for people who want to do 3d graphics rendering, video editing, or folding, and that intel really targets gamers with their mainstream chipsets, which they will not only price within reach of gamers, but will actually outperform their enthusiast segment.

no one will know for sure until we see some benchmarks but my money is on haswell being similarly crippled with TIM, and IB-E finally fulfilling the overclocking promise denied to non-LN2 users of IB.

I think mainstream chipsets outperforming enthusiast chipsets was a fluke, a mistake that intel will not allow to happen again.

The other question you should be asking yourself is how gpu vs cpu dependent the games you play are. If your games are highly cpu dependent, and assuming the SB-E vs IB battle occurs again in 2013 under a different name, then you might indeed benefit from haswell... But if the games you play are gpu dependent (such as BF3) then x79 is definately the platform you want to be on. (x16, x16 SLI @ PCIE3.0, and the option to add more cards later if you want).

x79 is first and foremost a *graphics* platform, giving you the ability to run your cards at full capability.
Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD

Great thought on that. You really hit the nail on the head. I can't figure out what in the hell Intel is doing with the mainstream vs. enthusiast lines. Assuming I want't to rebuild my pc tomorrow, I'm tempted by the x79 so that I can catch the Ivy-E when they release it…but then I start to wonder, how is that LGA2011 really going to hold up next to whatever new chipset Haswell supports? From what Intel says, the LGA2011 will be with us until 2015, but I can't imagine that slapping a new CPU in it every year is going to keep it far ahead of the mainstream version.

Really, Asus did such a nice job with the Maximus V I tend to think it is worth my money to buy a nice z77 setup, then just completely rebuild in three years. That being said, the Rampage IV isn't much more when you price everything out.

I don't know. I've never been much of a dual gpu guy, so I don't see myself doing any SLI and outside if that I think you would see marginal, if any, improvements from the quad channel memory and extra cores.

Really, Intel has done nothing more than cause mass confusion. I liked the days of having one obvious winner :).