cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux and gaming might be comming, what are RoG thoughts?

rhozac
Level 9
With steam coming to linux, and valves success with left4dead2 native linux client port. And the fact that any native games properly ported providing the driver you need is on par with windows in linux, will "always" run faster and smoother on linux. (not counting directx "unported" to opengl).

Are RoG having any initial thoughts of providing more extensive linux support?. Like the overclocking tools ai suite and others, binary, closed source or open source?. I havnt tried running anything in wine but im guessing it wont work well at all.

Even just console version binary's would be really cool, (someone else can always make some crude gui for it). This must be interesting for pure overclocking enthusiast as-well, seeing better scores purely because of the linux kernel. Tho surly lacking in alot of the popular benchmarking tools would be a downside.

Then there's the future new hardware and projects. Cross platform really is the future right, are RoG eye'ing linux at all?. Having linux under the belt for any future or current RoG products would really be shining achievement and recognition that RoG isnt just PRO hardware for gaming / overclocking, but the dominating Gaming brand in general.

I find the asus/RoG approach and philosophy of great hardware, maximizing performance, stability and innovation is synonym with linux & open source values of quality software down to the hardware level, always fighting to be better than what it was.

Windows XP future of gaming? na. Vista the thing you read about when you ran xp? no. Windows 7 that you reluctantly
upgraded to only to stay current? No thanks. Windows 8? Hell no.

While linux still suffers from system to user interoperability, its getting alot better and fast. Because the system software is so great, there isnt really that big of a need for system configuration for a normal gamer/ desktop user on distros like ubuntu or mint, you just have to pick a window manager that your ok with. These could be better, and they are getting better, but you will find the basic window manager functionality s that windows has after spending some time setting it up.

Here's some recentish videos/links about linux and gaming future.

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/linuxactionshow/
nice news-review show about linux, last few episodes they talked a bit about linux and gaming.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/
valves linux blog

Man i would really love it if RoG made friends with the penguin.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.
26 REPLIES 26

Zygomorphic
Level 17
I would love it if ROG started supporting LINUX. The window managers all work, KDE is pretty fancy if you like wasting system resources. I am partial to LXDE, myself.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Anything Gabe Newell aproves i aprove !

rhozac
Level 9
Aye, i recently started digging into linux again, playing with virtualbox mostly, and on the way to move to linux as main desktop again once im done with the server install and successful virtual simulation install. Probably going Debian wheezy with XFCE4, with git clone Compiz or Compiz-sid pkgs. And then toy with unity/Ubuntu on virtualbox from there on, and see if its worthy of its spot as WM/dist. Booting to windows to play BF3 and some newer titles will suck, but hey its better than the alternative.

Iv been thinking about the major hurdles, directx vs opengl & amd/nvidia drm drivers. And while sadly directx probobly wont go opensource any time soon, the propitiatory drivers, and the complexity's that go into the driver development might be better suited by having the device itself connected to a third party hardware solution, from say intel. This intel chip/cpu, would connect to the gtx 680 and hd7970 via the sli/crossfire link, while the intel provides its open source driver for this, it manages the workload to the respective cards depending on the needs. If the amd card does some things better the nvidia card, it will shift that particular workload to it, cuda/stream processors for instance. Basicly a CPU for your GPU's. Since intel keeps the workings of the 2 brands on a hardware level, but keeps its own drivers opensource, nvidia and amd can still compete with eachother, while giving developers the much needed quality access to the hardware that they want/need. So intel as a third party keeps the secrets of nvidia/amd from a competitive standpoint, one of wich is the only reason i can think of to why they are not open in the first place.

Basically,

amd: lift your skirt nvidia
nvidia: no you lift your skirt.
amd: ill lift my skirt if you lift yours first
nvidia: **** that you first.
on..and...on.......years.......later.....
intel: guys... you are counter productive, we get it you like competing, but don't let the rest of the world suffer. Talk to us then if you cant talk to the rest of the world. We will keep your secrets while letting the rest of the world move forward with proper software to hardware support. Ok?!?!?. Now shut up and go back to making hardware advancements.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.

cl-scott
Level 12
I am not privy to any special info on this, so don't go trying to parse everything I say for some kind of hidden meaning.

I would personally love to see more gaming support on Linux, even though I'm not much of a PC gamer. I'm getting very tired of how Apple and Microsoft can't seem to abandon the desktop market fast enough in favor of dumbing everything down to the mobile versions of their OS. Linux is pretty much going to become the only option left, so where gaming goes, hardware support will follow.

rhozac
Level 9
It just cant come fast enough!

Anyway as far as linux support and RoG, would there be any issues with open-sourcing the asus suite 2.x/and misc tools?(under one of the licenses, gpl etc). Is it that the coding behind these tools are a big part of the package deal, and that products would loose value cause of it?.

I think that could be a cool step-in for RoG to enter linux. It would surly be noticed at the very least. Im about to switch back to fulltime linux desktop(dualboot for unsupported games bf3 etc), and while im more of a bios setup guy, i really liked all the cool overclocking and config tools i got with my rampage iv extreme. I feel a bit sad that i cant use most of it by going linux, also where you could possibly get better performance/stability compared to a windows install, if you had those tools. I understand if there went alot into creating them and porting them to linux doesn't look viable, but i kind of feel like it probably wouldn't be hard to port to at-least command line based versions, since its mostly about the hardware.

I donno but i would love some light on that topic, commercial/value issue?, porting issue?, interest issue?.

cl-scott
Level 12
I have absolutely no idea what kind of possible contractual obligations may prevent things from being open sourced, but I am not really sure what the benefit would be anyway. I'm sure if the people who make these kinds of decisions at Asus HQ feel that there's money to be made by offering more Linux support, it'll happen.

In large part it always seems to be kind of a chicken and egg situation. Game developers want to know there's a market for their games, gamers want an available selection of games before making the switch. So there's been this kind of holding pattern while each side waits on the other. Hopefully Valve's efforts are the kick in the rear needed to get the industry rolling. It also wouldn't hurt to have AMD and nVidia shore up their Linux support. While they definitely get credit for supporting Linux at all, and AMD has been pretty good about releasing documentation needed to make open source drivers, their Linux support to date has always seemed kind of like an afterthought.

@cl-scott, if you aren't opposed to using the proprietary nVidia drivers, they rock on my G53SX! 🙂 Kudos to ASUS for making laptops that run LINUX almost perfectly out of the box. Backlit keyboard works with a shell-script tweak, and everything else runs that I can tell. nVidia proprietary drivers are quality products, as are their Windows drivers. In fact, they even support BSD and Solaris, which is pretty impressive.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

ugg, so its late and im goin to bed, but how do you manage your overclocking in linux?, im just on the Auto levelup oc mode in bios atm but linux does the old downclocking upclocking on demand, but seems to ignore the overclock when it does. 1.2ghz - 3.33 ghz, is the default iv overclocked to something like 4.125 (4235 turbo). Thats setup, but linux seems to reset it and downclock to 3.33. i did some quick searching and found litte, so do you need to set overclocking stuff in the kernel or whats up? sleep nowö

I don't know, honestly, since I run a laptop.