cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System reboots like crazy when trying to overclock (Maximus V Gene)

X-III
Level 7
Hi,

I have a Maximus V Gene + 3770K +16G ram +AX650 Corsair system. Everytime i try to overlock, the system keeps rebooting and never load into the OS. The screen is constantly black. Even if It is a normal operation like forcing my ram to 2133Mhz which is its designed speed(now it is at 1333MHZ default setting), the system just reboots and never load.

How do I correct this behaviour? Will this break my motherboard?
6 REPLIES 6

Zka17
Level 16
You're trying to OC your system and it fails... it is normal for it to keep restarting if the tweaking is too much...

How are you trying to OC? From the OS or BIOS? Are you trying to OC only the memories or the CPU too?

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you could share with us what you are trying to do, which settings are you changing? Then we could help you better.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The_Nemesis
Level 10
what voltage is ram rated at for 2133? Are you loading xmp? what voltage do you have ram set at?
Praetor
» i7 990X 3101A239
» Asus Rampage III Black Edition
» Asus GTX 470 & 570 Tri-SLI or Three Sapphire 5850's CFX
» 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF
» Corsiar Force Series 180GB
» CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
» Microcool Banchetto 101
Defiant
» G74SX » 16GB ram » Corsiar Force Series 180GB » 750GB Seagate » Blu-ray

Hey guys,

Thanks for the fast response. I was only trying to test out the automatic overlock features of asus motherboard. I tried both bios and software overclock on all avaliable level up clocks (4.6 4.4 and 4.2GHz). For memory, i first tried to force it in the bios, and then i tried to load xmp profiles. The system just reboots and never load into the OS. It gives me a impression of that if i tweak any part of my hardware just by a little bit, the system will get stuck in the rebooting phase. However, i have yet to leave it rebooting for a prolonged period of time due to the fear of frying the cirucit after hearing the click sound it makes.

Hope this is enough information

BTW: I use Antec Kuhler 620 water cooling for the cpu with one fan attached. My CPU at default clock stays around 32 degrees C ( i assume there should be alot of overlock headroom with this temperature)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do not use the auto overclock feature if you can help it.

There are some really good guides that will help you understand how to overclock your system with out using those applications. It is really easy and more importantly fun.

Go have a read of the guides in the Chrosshair section. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2585-ASUS-Crosshair-V-Formula-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking&count...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zka17
Level 16
Well, if you want to find out your headroom for OC'ing, you will have to know the temps during stressing... those 32C are at idle or you used some application (like Intel Burn test, prime95+ or AIDA64)?

Also, pay attention to the suggestion of Nemesis... - sorry, his questions...