cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2x8GB Memory for Maximus V Formula?

cruebrew
Level 7
There aren't many 2x8GB memory options in the QVL.

I'm willing to buy Kingston, Corsair, or Crucial (Common brands at Amazon and that I've used in the past).

I want at least 1600 Mhz.

I'd prefer to keep the price around $150 or less.

Any recommendations that you know will work with the motherboard?

I saw this memory that looked good for the Deluxe but it isn't in the QVL for the Formula.
Kingston Technology HyperX 16GB Kit (2x8GB Modules) 2133MHz DDR3 PC3-17000 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP T1 Destop Memory KHX21C11T1K2/16X
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080K6M7M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
QVL just means it has been tested. There will be lots of memory that will work fine but hasn't been tested. Perhaps someone else has tried them and can tell you which modules will work but in general if you stick to a good brand (like Kingston) you should be OK. Just make sure whatever memory you choose that you check the manufacturer's website to see if they recommend it for AMD, Intel, or both.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Zka17
Level 16
Which CPU do you have in the Maximus V Formula? If it's an Ivy Bridge, you could check the GSkill memories for the Z77 platform too... - they're very good and relatively cheap...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Memory vendors are more likely to have an updated QVL for their products than the motherboard manufactures. Mainly because there is just to many different vendors with 1000's of modules and that makes it nearly impossible to keep current.

GSkill is very good, I like Kingstone, Corsair Doms and GEIL too. IvyBridge is pretty forgiving for memory so most of the time you are good to go with the latest versions. Remember older ram product ranges were not designed with the newer memory controllers in mind so might not perform as well as the newer stuff.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I thought as long as the memory didn't require more than 1.65v (Ivy Bridge, which I plan to use) you were okay. I was hoping to find some at 1.5v. I've noticed that Amazon sells Corsair memory that I can't find on Corsair's website. Does that mean it is older and I shouldn't try to use it?

And where can I find the QVL on the memory's manufacturers website?

I just like the idea of knowing that the memory is fully compatible with the board because I don't want to have stability issues.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Go look at the GSkill site. Check any of the kits you fancy.

They list the motherboards that they have tested their kits on.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I've decided to get Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz. I decided on it because it only requires 1.5v. I ended up having to buy it from Newegg (Tax) because all the memory I wanted was out of stock at Amazon.

I'll let you all know how it works next week after I get everything in and upgraded.

BTW having to type in a Captcha EVERY post is ANNOYING!

Forgot link to memory.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233332

Zka17
Level 16
If you did not placed the order yet, you may consider these too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231571

After 5 days and 5 posts, you won't be required to type in a Captcha anymore! It's just for protection... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
If you did not placed the order yet, you may consider these too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231571

After 5 days and 5 posts, you won't be required to type in a Captcha anymore! It's just for protection... 🙂

Yes I went back and forth about which to buy. I decided on the Corsair for two reasons. One I've dealt with their customer service and they were GREAT! And the other reason was the Gskill are 1.6v versus the Corsair's 1.5v. I didn't think the slight performance increase of the Gskill was worth the .1v. I'm sure either one would have been great. Although I was greatly tempted by the lower profile (heat spreader) of the Gskill over the Corsair. But since I'm using a Corsair H80 cooler, the height of the memory shouldn't be an issue.

I did find it strange I can't find that memory on Corsairs website.

cruebrew@hotmail.com wrote:
I did find it strange I can't find that memory on Corsairs website.

I think, they did stop producing it...

Regarding the performance, the GSkill has 4.22ns respond time, while the Vengeance has 4.69ns... It's true, in everyday life you would not see the difference between them... However, if you're OC'ing... the Vengeance will not go as well as the GSkill would... and if you benchmarking, that 0.47ns could make a difference... (there are other factors too, of course)