cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Freezes

BullDozzer
Level 8
My pc, after several other problems have started to do lockups/freezes.

The lockups seems random but not far after I've started a game. I have browsed the internet for hours without problems and watched a lot of IPTV in VLC without issues.

The computer does not sound weird or anything from what I can hear.
Screen just freezes, the speakersound either stops or keep playing loops (eg. ingame music).
If i move the mouse, the mouse moves with a framerate of 1frame/10seconds, but everything else is frozen stuck. I can't do much in this state, and have to hard reboot to be able to use the computer.

So I have two theories about why this happens when I play games.
Either, its graphics-related, but since the game don't lag, crash or display any artifacts i doubt it.
The other theory of mine is that my secondary harddrive, where I install most/all applications to save space on my primary SSD, is getting bad. HDtune reports 16 bad sectors. I tried to run spinrite but it just was stuck

Anyone have tips about how to keep troubleshooting freezing issues like this? Ask anything if I missed out on information.
10 REPLIES 10

Davinna
Level 7
I've had similar issues while gaming, but not on a notebook. I've had to re-install or repair the game to correct the problem. Have you tried doing that?

BullDozzer
Level 8
I have this issue in several games, not the same one, but yes i have made sure that the game is installed correctly and repaired.

HiVizMan
Level 40
It sounds to me that there are heaps of driver issues happening. What does the Windows event viewer suggest the cause is?

I would go to safe mode and remove all graphic drivers and do a full clean up. Then reboot and install the VGA drivers all new and fresh.

Re your mechanical drive, do a back up of your important stuff ASAP you are going to loose that HDD. 😞
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

BullDozzer
Level 8
Can't find any errors in the log prior to the freeze. The only error i can find are
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

That seems to pop off every reboot.

Should I go with WHQL(301.42), Beta(304.79) or the drivers from ASUS?

RE
Re your mechanical drive, do a back up of your important stuff ASAP you are going to loose that HDD. 😞

But the faulty sectors shouldn't cause any freezes as I'm experiencing?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Just did a Google and I might have a solution to your problem BullDozzer

I've successfully got rid of this one:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Boot into safe mode. First, open services and stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service. Take ownership of the folder or the contents of the folder "C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository." I've done this three times now on different installs and didn't have any issues after doing this, but I suggest you back up the folder to be certain. Delete the contents of the folder. Reboot. When you boot into Vista, you might notice a half dozen or so application errors...it's OK.
Reboot again, and Event ID 10 will be gone, along with the afore mentioned application errors.

Good luck, I'm not responsible for you hosing your system, & all that.

Solution came from here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/114389-heres-how-to-fix-wmi-event-id-10-instancemodificationeven/

kimiraikkonen
Level 7
For WMI difficulties, look at this tool to fix missing entries:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7684

For HDD bad sectors, it has too little possibililty that bad sectors would cause freezing. If they are containing any part of program you're executing, yes that time it would freeze but there's too little chance for that kind of freeze. You rapidly need to back up data and look for HDD replacement if HDD isn't able to replace bad sectors with spare sectors by means of HDD firmware, or buy a new drive.
ASUS G53JW-XA1

Used the method described in SilentShadows post to fix the WMI issue, thanks alot mate 🙂

Oh crap 😕 Anyone have experience with ASUS warranty/support concerning harddrives?

I've ran CHDSK on the problemdrive,
I've uninstalled the nvidia drivers and removed any trace of it, then installing it again.
I've removed all problems in the Eventlog(Probably not related)

Started a game (Crusader Kings II) in this case, and played for about one and a half hour, believing it was finally fixed, and then it happened again. Completely freeze, cant ctrl alt delete, can't tab out, but can move the mouse maybe two or three times before it disappears. I had to hardreboot.

Updated directX, played for several hours wihtout problems, once the screen seemed to freeze but after 2-3 seconds the screen turned black for about a second, then the game continued.
Thinking that the issue was corrected I tried to play today, only to have a freeze instantly.
Updated to latest beta drivers rather then the ASUS ones.
Reinstalled the game completely, going to try it now 🙂

EDIT: Froze almost instantly...