cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme died in it's sleep.

bassetwrangler
Level 7
After six months of daily use, I shutdown normally last night but this morning my system would not start. Power supply is not being turned on. Start button, Reset button and BIOS LEDs are all lighted but pressing the case's power button or the motherboard's Start button does nothing (Debug LEDs are not lighted). Swapped power supplies with the same result. I’ve built more than 10 systems and I’m a software engineer with a high degree of technical knowledge.

I tried all the simple things (remove and replace battery, clear CMOS) with no success. Has anybody seen this problem or know of any other trouble shooting techniques?
30 REPLIES 30

lenehan
Level 10
It appear to me your board require a RMA.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Have you physically inspected the board ? any 'popped' caps ?
sounds d.o.a. friend.

ummm .. no offense .. is anything else plugged into that receptacle? power strip?
is there power from there ? (i know, sounds dumb .. but .. hahahhaa.. been there.did that.)

i think if all else fails .. id also pull the board to be sure of no 'shorting' standoffs or .. ect.
you should see some form of life ..

where do u live ? (country)

Welcome to ROG.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Have you physically inspected the board ? any 'popped' caps ?
sounds d.o.a. friend.

ummm .. no offense .. is anything else plugged into that receptacle? power strip?
is there power from there ? (i know, sounds dumb .. but .. hahahhaa.. been there.did that.)

i think if all else fails .. id also pull the board to be sure of no 'shorting' standoffs or .. ect.
you should see some form of life ..

where do u live ? (country)

Welcome to ROG.c.

Thanks for your comments. I, of course, inspected the board for damaged components (included smoked ICs and caps that looked popped) but don't see anything. I haven't removed the motherboard from the case yet hoping that somebody has a useful suggestion. I did remove the video card and all but one memory stick and disconnected the disk drives. Remember, it was just sleeping quietly under my desk so a spontaneous short is unlikely. I would guess something went bad in the power regulation that is preventing it from turning on the power supply (1050 watt Thermaltake). I live in USA (southern California).

PS - I removed the motherboard from the case and have it on an insulated surface but it still will not come to life. Same result as if installed in the case.

chrsplmr
Level 18
PM (PrivateMessege) Mason@Asus and forward this thread to him.

This thread is the best place to start:

ASUS US & Canada RMA Guide << Link

Best of Luck.c.

Necrosan
Level 12
BTW chrisplmr his board can't be D.O.A. - D.O.A. = dead on arrival.
He used it fine for 6 months 🙂
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

chrsplmr
Level 18
Excellent point Necrosan, thank you for pointing that out.
Far be it from me to ever be grammatically imperfect.. hahaha

But just as when an obvious db (dead body) arrives @ an er (emergency room)
and 'then' is declared doa (dead on arrival)..hahhaha .. dead is dead ..
and that bad boy, imho has assumed room temerature and will remain that way.
It was dead when he drag'd it in here.d.o.a. hahahaha .. PM Mason OP .. end the suffering Now. hehe

Unless you or another has an idea or some other form of original thought. thnx N, hehe.c.

HiVizMan
Level 40
DOA in this case could mean Dead on Awake???

Sorry could not resist. 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
hahahaha ... RIP=RMA (if approved..not for me to say.).c.

Mason
Level 10
Hi OP,
I have to say this is a strange one as I haven't heard of many cases where a board falls into a permanent sleep.
I would probably reseat everything including the CPU and then rebuild the system and see if you get any different result. If not, PM me and I'll help you with an RMA if you haven't already gotten one issued for you for this case.