ROG Enthusiast Array

Windows 8 x64 RTM won't install on p9x79 deluxe with 2104 bios

Windows 8 x64 (final/RTM) hangs when upgrading win7 x64 to win8 pro on a p9x79 deluxe board, with the latest BIOS (asus 2104, dated 8/14/2012).

This is after the first reboot (after the first progress meter has reached 100% and it reboots). After it reboots, I get a big windows 8 icon and a spinning circle, but it never stops spinning.

Any suggestions?

(One can get back to win 7 by forcing a cold reboot and selecting windows 7 from the windows boot manager screen.)

It may have something to do with having Intel RAID 1 (two drives) as the boot volume, but I'd like to see if anyone has successfully installed win8 rtm on p9x79 before messing with the RAID.

The very last entries in "setupact.log" are these:
    2012-08-25 22:52:17, Info MIG MigHost: Initialized successfully with CLSID[{9606938A-9FC8-467C-AB41-F1633389907B}] and LogDir=[]
    2012-08-25 22:52:17, Info MIG MigHost: Exiting process.
    AudMig: No audio endpoint migration settings found 0x2
    Last edited by techvslife; 08-26-2012 at 05:28 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array lenehan's Avatar

This is normal when you try to install the Win8 over Win 7. The driver set (may be all) work for your Win 7 will not work for Win8. I suggest you download the WIn 8 driver for your board (if any), install win 8 from scratch. In my opinion, never upgrade new os over from previous os.
    Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks. I myself haven't seen many reports about blocking issues yet, and so far I've upgraded a number of asus notebooks from win7 without any issue. Microsoft doesn't recommend or expect a clean install from win7 systems, and both operating systems use practically the same drivers. A clean install would be a lot of work and time and introduce opportunity for errors in configuration, so it's only the absolute last resort, but I agree that's worth trying if nothing else works. I'm guessing the issue is either a bug in the Intel rste drivers or in the Asus bios 2104, but I don't know how to troubleshoot these setup logs. I'll wait to see how other people fare on the upgrade experience.

Quote Originally Posted by lenehan View Post
    This is normal when you try to install the Win8 over Win 7. The driver set (may be all) work for your Win 7 will not work for Win8. I suggest you download the WIn 8 driver for your board (if any), install win 8 from scratch. In my opinion, never upgrade new os over from previous os.

In short, both Asus and Intel RSTe team need to trash out the issue. I dont thinl you are alone. Many user having the same issue too with RAID driver.
    Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The error log message: "AudMig: No audio endpoint migration settings found 0x2"
    makes me think I might be able to do if I get rid of the realtek and nvidia audio drivers or disable them before install, so maybe I'll try that.
    However if it's rste or bios, then it's hopeless.
    p.s. it's impossible to log in to asus forum with windows 8 installed (internet explorer 10--the password gets wiped out when you press submit). One can login with google chrome though.

Correct me if I am wrong, that error refer to your sound device driver. In your bios disable your onboard sound device and try the it out.

ROG Enthusiast Array

It could be that, or it could be the audio on the graphics card (nvidia hdmi port), so I'll see if it makes any difference to disable them.

New ROGer Array

This is normal when you try to install the Win8 over Win 7.

ROG Enthusiast Array

What's normal? The audio error message in the log?