cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Adapter Problem?

NinjaOctopi
Level 7
I bought a G75vw last May, so far I have had no problems with it, but earlier this month I had problems charging the laptop. I realized that holding down the adapter (quarter of an inch away from the computer,) allowed the computer to resume charging. Hindsight's 20/20, and I was stupid with a deadline to meet. Today the paperweight that I had placed on the adapter wasn't enough, and a I put a book on the adapter to keep it charging. Then it degraded to the point I no longer had anything to place on it that would keep it charging. The adapter would be inserted all the way into the G75, however there would be no response. The power adapter would also be very warm when I took it out. I can still get it to charge if I plug it in and apply pressure on the adapter. But I am unsure what the problem is, now that I can no longer ignore it, and whether the adapter is damaged, the electrode, or (unlikely) the motherboard. Any educated input would be grateful, I am probably going to have a diagnostic run on the machine at a local computer store, but again I would rather have an idea what's wrong. THANKS 😄
2 REPLIES 2

finalhour
Level 11
Why not just call ASUS or if you have the Best Buy version and a warranty with them, go into best buy!? The adapter is covered by those warranties!
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

dstrakele
Level 14
I think you may have a polarity problem with your power adapter as outlined by @breker in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16470-quot-Touchy-quot-Power-Cable-in-my-G-53S&p=112124&vie.... This issue can cause the power adapter plug to get hot, as you observe. As @finalhour mentioned, the power adapter is covered under warranty. Repair by replacing the plug and/or defective wiring is another option.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT