cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Recovery Asus

peterleerule
Level 7
Hey Guys.

So I forgot to use the AI recovery from asus when i first bought the laptop. Now I've installed a bunch of crap on here and I decided that I'm going to backup using the AI recovery before its too late or if its filled with too much crap.

So I'm starting to burn the DVDs. Its saying I need roughly 6 DVDs. Also will this effect my recovery in the future?

After burning these DVDs If i were to restore my laptop using the disks, I would get my steam games and music back on the laptop after the restoration rite?

Will this effect my laptop if i were to reinstall it using the DVDs one day?

Thanks a lot
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
The Ai Recovery DVD's you create give you a Factory Recovery to an out-of-the-box state. None of the applications or files you installed or configuration changes you've made will be restored. You need to perform a backup using Windows Backup & Restore for that.

The DVD's are also mainly for performing a Factory Recovery to a new drive. If you want to do a Factory Recovery to the original HDD, pressing F9 at the ASUS splash screen will do the trick much faster, restoring Windows 7 with the original drivers and ASUS Bloatware apps from the hidden ASUS Recovery partition on the HDD, just like when the system was brand new.

You also need the latest version of Ai Recovery to create DVD's that successfully restore to a 1 TB drive. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75 for details.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

peterleerule
Level 7
O okay i see. Cause it says I need 4 DVDs instead of 3 DVDs from the forum. Also I dont think i updated the recovery version since I only have a 750GB harddrive it wont effect it will it? Ive started already the AI recovery burning already.

So If i wanted to wipe my laptop clean I just insert the burn DVDs and I'm good to go?

COOL! thats amazing that it'll give it back to factory recovery. Thats what I would have wanted a nice factory reset basically.

dstrakele
Level 14
The DVD's you've just created should successfully perform an ASUS Factory Recovery to a 750 GB drive, provided they were burned successfully.

F9 at the ASUS splash screen or running the Ai Recovery DVD's you create can both restore your system to an out-of-the-box state on the original HDD. F9 will just do it faster, since the ASUS Factory hidden partition does not have to be recreated on the original HDD.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Cecil_2099
Level 11
Another user with a 750 GB HDD had issues with the out of the box version of the AI recovery utility. She was able to restore using an updated version. Therefore it's best to just update to the newest utility and burn a new set of DVDs.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Get yourself a better backup and restore program, such as Acronis True Image, or whatever Norton is selling. Inexpensive, and significantly more function.
G75VW-DS72 w/ Core i7-3610QM, 16GB, GeForce GTX 670, 256 GB SSD, 17.3in Full HD (2D Matte), Blu-ray Writer, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

peterleerule
Level 7
Okay. I burnt it before updating the program. So how can I know if the discs I burnt were successful?

peterleerule wrote:
Okay. I burnt it before updating the program. So how can I know if the discs I burnt were successful?

Well the only real way of testing if your recovery disks recover a computer is to "recover it" which means losing everything since the time that you opened it.

I for one recommend testing the recovery process but doing it on a "different" drive than the original one.

peterleerule
Level 7
Okay. I see. Well can i just burn the recovery DVDs just before I decide to recover my laptop lets say 2 years from now?

I'd make good recovery disks NOW while your computer is working. You can't do it once your drive dies on you unexpectedly (like tomorrow!)....
Feralhog

Asus G72, Asus G-75, Asus Essentio CG5290