cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G71] [Help] Looking to Disassemble, Clean, And Reassemble

Pmadison
Level 7
I'm looking to take apart my G71GX-RX05, replace thermal compound, air dust it out, and hopefully reassemble it in working order.

I've taken apart simple laptops like a Compaq F700 and cleaned it, but I had a picture guide on how to do that, and this computer seems like it could be a bit more complicated.

Are there any Asus guides out there, or any advice that you guys use when taking yours apart?
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Take pictures of each stage of the disassembly with a digital camera that way you know exactly what went where. I'm also a fan of taping screws. You can tape them to the item they were anchoring or tape them down to your workbench/table in a meaningful pattern so that you know how they go back.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Pmadison
Level 7
Awesome, thank you Xero 🙂 You never cease to help me with all of my problems :P.

Pmadison
Level 7
Fantastic news, already done with the operation of my laptop, and It's running quieter, and cooler. Only bad part is, 7 screws lost their home.. Not sure what to do about that.. Should I worry about it, and open it back up and find where they go? Or just leave it? Nothing seems wrong, very stable..

xeromist
Well, that depends on where they came from as to whether they are really needed 😛 Laptops are such a tight fit for everything that things aren't really going to shift around much. However a good jolt could move something slightly if it's not screwed down and that could cause a problem. The heat sink has spring loaded screws for the CPU, right? At least that shouldn't be a problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…