cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on running Windows 8 on a G74

pcm2
Level 7
Hello folks!

I'm looking for some feedback from people who have successfully installed windows 8 onto their G74. I know that the ATK package has been glitchy on both my friend's Zenbook, and my sister's N-Series.

The main problem I'm facing is that my G74S is the computer I use at work, which means I cannot risk ending up with a faulty computer. That said of course I could just rollback to Windows 7 should Windows 8 fail me terribly, I still feel safer asking you folks for some experiences!

So, anyone out there that has successfully installed Windows 8 onto a G74 and that wishes to share the experience? 😄

Many thanks!
Christoffer
4 REPLIES 4

knight
Level 8
well i successfully installed win 8 on 73sw, and i had no issues except the nvidia drive is beta ver. i use this laptop for gaming like dota2 and sc2 and i have no issues with the graphics, it's really going well...( for 1 month now)

but i keep win8 in dual booting with win 7 just for safety because again win 8 is beta it may have some issues..

cheers

That sounds awesome! Do you have any problems with the hotkey-related software? Also did you perform a clean install, or did you just update your previous windows?

Thanks!

tgmlab
Level 7
I am running Windows 8 Pro RTM on my G74SX without any issues at this time. It has Been almost 2 weeks. My set up is as follows - NVidia 302.80-notebook-win8-64bit-international, ATKPackage Win7_64_Z100016, Touchpad by Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9135, USB3 Fresco_Win7_64_Z35300, Realtek HD Audio 64bit_Vista_Win7_Win8_R270, LifeFrame3 Win7_64_Z3029, ROG Gaming Mouse_Win7_32_Win_64_Z1000000, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 12, PowerToGo 8 Platinum, PhotoDirector 3, iTunes 10.6.3.25, CCleaner 3.22, IZArc 4.16, Stardock Start8 Beta.9 along with Office 2013.

Enjoying the experience.

I am still a Happy and Satisfied G74 Owner!

knight
Level 8
i did clean install on partition with win 7. for hotkey I cannot tell because i use external keyboard as my original keyboard got faulty. so it is possible that u may have issue with hotkeys. i use nvidia 460m graphic card and win8 supports the drive. im using beta version for nvidia 304.something. i have not yet tested the new beta release of nvidia.

just to add, Im using win8 on my other laptop macbookpro.I got only one issue is with the sound, internal speakers are not working but if i connect external speakers it works.
i would advice to install win 8 in partition and keep the win7 jsut in case of failure.