cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from X58 to Z77 raid 0 drives?

cruebrew
Level 7
I've got a Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX ordered and plan to upgrade my computer (currently a X58 chipset motherboard) this weekend. I'm trying to decide how to handle my storage devices. The four drives I'm thinking about are the 2 x 1TB raid 0 (2TB total) and 2 x 1TB raid 1 (1TB total). I know that I should just be able to plug in one of the raid 1 drives and it read it no problem. But what about the Raid 0 drives.

Any chance that I will be able to plug the 2 drives in the raid 1 drive in to the Intel raid controller and it read them? How about if I plug them in to the ASMedia raid controller?

Or am I just going to have to find a way to back everything up and restore it after recreating the raid drives?
8 REPLIES 8

apocalypzez
Level 10
Asmedia can't do raid. So you looking an adjustment among the 2x intel sata3 ports and 2x intel sata2 ports. And don't forget to keep in mind one slot for your BD/DVD ODD, as they will not be happy with asmedia ports!! IMO, more intel ports should have been provided, even though they sata2. At least you could do more with intel ports - i.e., no restrictions whatsoever!!

Anyways, good luck with your build. On a side note; just in terms of overall platform experience, I think X58 is much more stable. At least I found it to be!!
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

cruebrew
Level 7
Wow I guess I just assumed it could do raid! Well that really misses up my plan. I also have two SSD drives that I plan to run as raid 0 and two optical drives. I really hate to have 4 separate 1 TB drives. I'm going to have to think about how I want this to work.

I'm really disappointed that the ASMedia can't do raid... or support optical drives!

X-ROG
Level 15
Just use software RAID 1 within Windows on the ASMedia ports.

Plug in one
Format it
Reboot and plug in the other
Go to start - type in 'disk' and select 'create and format disk partitions'
Select your 1TB drive with the data on it
Right click, make mirrored array (or something similar)
Then select the second, clean disk
Then Windows will mirror the first to the second - this can take several hours.

apocalypzez
Level 10
Thanks Marshall, gr8 tip! I didn't know there was a software RAID, lol!!
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

X-ROG
Level 15
No problem!

AFAIK as long as you're using Win 7 Home Premium or above you can! 😉 It also doesn't matter what ports you connect them to in Windows RAID - you can even have 1 on Intel and 1 on ASMedia, or 1 SATA/1eSATA, for example.

At home I RAID1 2x2TB drives. Sometimes they fall out of sync if the PC crashes, but just give them a few hours and they sort themselves out. Smaller drives will be faster to resync.

I would NOT use Win RAID for RAID0 though, due to the OS software overhead slowing things, and the fact you cannot boot from it.

I've decided this is a deal breaker for me. I'm going to refuse the motherboard and order the Asus deluxe. It has the Sata ports I need. I was really looking forward to the rog board...

apocalypzez
Level 10
Get Maximus V Extreme, then!! I don't think there's much difference in price b/w the MVF/TFX and MVE!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will be very happy with the deluxe board by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.