Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Memory problems

erocker
Level 7
Greetings.

Mobo: Maximus V Formula bios: 804
RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866mhz 2x4gb CMZ8GX3M2A11866C9

XMP settings aren't working and the system fails to boot.

If I set the RAM to 1800mhz instead of 1866, system boots and things seem stable.

I have tried manually setting timings with 1866mhz and that also didn't work. What I've tried (in order):
9-10-9-27-2-auto-7-150-auto-14-7-35-7-6-9

Any help would be appreciated, and if you need more information please just ask.

Thank you.

-erocker
10 REPLIES 10

8_Pack
Level 12
Could you give us the rest of your system spec please it would really help us suggest some solutions.

What is the Post code that it stops on when you try to boot XMP???

I would Initially try setting the First 4 Timings as the sticker printed on the sticks suggests. Maximus Tweak Mode 1, VCCIO 1.1 and DRAM voltage 1.65 and see if the system posts.

Hello there, not sure if it's a problem with Maximus V but I wonder if it's normal when I set XMP profile on G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 2x8GB 2400MHz CL10 it does actually change timings and DRAM Voltage but VCCIO stays on auto (goes up from 1.05 to 1.1 still) - Should I change it manually to 1.25 or leave it to be like that? There are also 2 XMP profiles which seems to be the same - one is 2401MHz and the other one 2399MHz. What's this for? If I remember while I was running these sticks on Maximus IV Extreme both profiles were different - one 2400Mhz and the other one 2000MHz or 2200MHz and both had different timings in profiles.

My speccs if needed:
Intel I7 3770K, MVE (Bioses: release version and newest one 0704), DDR like I posted earlier, Asus Geforce GTX 690

P.S.
Is it better to run these on CR 2 or change it to CR1 as I see latency is little reduced while running CR1 in Aida64 and it gives me score up from 33xxx in MemTweakIt to 35xxx so it makes me wonder if there are any real positive gains apart from scores.

8 Pack wrote:
Could you give us the rest of your system spec please it would really help us suggest some solutions.

What is the Post code that it stops on when you try to boot XMP???

I would Initially try setting the First 4 Timings as the sticker printed on the sticks suggests. Maximus Tweak Mode 1, VCCIO 1.1 and DRAM voltage 1.65 and see if the system posts.

PSU: 1000W NZXT/Corsair TX850W - Same results with either PSU
CPU: 3770K/2500k - Does the same with either CPU installed

It doesn't stop on a particular post code.. It hangs a little on 49 then goes through a few more and restarts itself.

I've already done what you have mentioned with no success. I've also tried higher VCCIO than that. I have two kits of this Corsair RAM and both kits have the same problem. I'm befuddled... I suppose both kits of RAM could be bad, but I doubt it. I'd like to try to get them to work before buying a new kit. BTW, they can run at 1600mhz on this board 9-9-9-24 (or auto settings) 1.5v just fine. I've tried just about every setting possible for 1866mhz other than going into the 3rd set of timings and skews.

Ok, have You tried to run one stick at once and see what happen? Are they in red sockets? http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-... - that's the ones You got right? There should be no need to change any others timing than 9-10-9-27 - rest should be on auto. Also 1.5 voltage on these from what I can see.

Yes, I have done that.. In the red sockets, black sockets and with two different sets of this RAM.

I did make some progress and it most definitely required setting more than the base 9-10-9-27 More importantly the 3rd set of timings needed to be changed.

Here are some screenshots of what I have changed to get it to boot (by following the OC guide on this forum)

(This is now running at stock voltage (DRAM, VCCIO, etc.)

Hmm have You tried 9-10-9-24?

Yes, and others. If you look at my post above, the 3rd set of timings are not being set correctly on auto. The sticks are now booting and working with no errors after I have manually set them. So... I guess I figured out my own problem, though I didn't initially know it was required to change these settings to get this RAM to post. Now I know.

I can see that now, good to know, might learn something new for future 😉 I remember when I tried everything with Kingston 1600CL7 running 4x2Gb on Intel Extreme p67 mobo, nothing worked and after three weeks of doing nothing else then trying different timings I gave up and changed mobo to M4E because they were worth it at present time 😉

8_Pack
Level 12
Yes you will need configure VCCIO to run at that speed for sure.Start at around 1.15v, GSKILL does recomend 1.25 but this is often not needed. Iam sure that stick will run at 1T command rate at 2400mhz yes so if you wish enable this but only after your sure 2T is stable.

Check XMP is setting VDRAM to 1.65 also.

On my 2666mhz Trident X I have 2 profiles as well as you describe but the settings are the same on both. Just enable the one that shows timings as on the sticker on the sticks themselves.