cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair Vengance sodimm ddr3 1600Mhz in ASUS G74SX?

Jelly_Man12
Level 7
HELLO ROG'ers

Picked up a corsair vengeance quad channel kit the other week For My G74 Notebook, (i have installed them)

(4x Corsair Vengeance CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB)

I wanted to know how to check if they are working properly.

corsair claims:
if the processor is a second gen core i5/i7 the notebook will automatically detect the faster memory speed

Any Help Would be great 🙂

-cheers, pete
2 REPLIES 2

fostert
Level 12
I assume your G74 is not running those 4 sticks at their rated 1600MHz speeds? You can double check this with memtest86+ : download this(http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.gz) and burn to disc; boot disc and look at the detailed info and specs displayed on the screen while the test runs. Let run thru three full passes of the whole testing suite: if error free your sticks are good. If even just one error is found you have to narrow which stick it is in: reboot with only a pair in there and test: repeat and narrow it to the one stick. Then RMA the whole set with Corsair.

You will probably find that all 4 sticks do not run at 1600MHz, but at 1333MHz; however,two sticks installed are detected at the faster speed correctly as the core i7 sandy bridge is supposed to do. This is a commonly discussed problem with all G74s here, and the only viable solution is a new BIOS from ASUS. If ASUS will ever release a BIOS fix for this problem (which would be incredibly simple to solve) then we all win; otherwise, you can try BIOS editing yourself (you risk bricking the machine and RMAing it to ASUS for restoration, but I believe some people on these forums have solved the problem with home BIOS mods).

My advice: leave it alone and enjoy the 16GB at 1333MHz until a fixed BIOS comes from ASUS. YOu will not notice **any** difference in real world performance between 1333 and 1600 MHZ: the difference only shows up in benchmarks, which are synthetic and unrealistic. And we didn't all buy G74s to run benches on them, did we?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

i have the same as you and the answer is no they do not run at 1600mhz when the 4 sticks are in use, all we can do is wait for asus to release another bios that will fix that .....
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300