cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never saw a slower laptop than this.

ntzntz
Level 7
I have a G75VW-BBK5. I never saw a slower laptop than this. Even with 8G 1600 Mhz I7 Ivy. Maybe the HDD is the fault of the slow system. But it cant be so slow. Once again ASUS proved that they make low performance laptop. I have the original W7 Home Premium x64 installed. Fresh. Fresh drivers installed and no bootload programs from asus. I still wonder why this computer is so slow. I hope to get a new HDD/SSD and see if the problem is solved. My previous computer it was a Desktop DELL 530 with 8G RAM DUAL CORE CPU and a 9500 GT video card. And a 500 GB 7.200 HDD. I hoped that this monster of laptop it will crush my desktop but it did not do that at all. It`s true i could not played games on that Dell but the overall performance it`s better than this. Anyone have the same problem like me? If after the HDD upgrade the laptop does not do better. I will trow it from the 7th floor. Asus proves that you better not buy something from them. And you better pay for something else.
44 REPLIES 44

dstrakele
Level 14
What Antivirus software are you currently running on this snail?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ntzntz
Level 7
This snail is running Bullguard Antivirus (Just the antivirus module).

theevilisback
Level 7
I even flipped my laptop upside down before posting to verify I have the same model.

How is your's running slow? My laptop boots up in about 25 seconds up to when my anti-virus starts booting (I'm almost always on a public wifi @ work, so it's basically required)

I'm sitting here with Guild Wars 2 running max settings getting almost 45 FPS in windowed mode, so I'm really thinking you got a faulty system or something. There's no way your dual core could outperform this. I had a dual core with 8 gigs of ram and a 250GTS vid card and it can't come close to the performance this thing can bang out :x

dstrakele
Level 14
1) How are you measuring performance and what numbers are you getting?

2) What happens to performance if you uninstall Bullguard and REBOOT?

3) Have you run DPC Latency Checker? DPC Latency can really rob your system of performace.

An SSD, Hybrid HDD, or even a 7200 RPM HDD should boost performance over your 5400 RPM HDD. Not sure what you're lookin' for to keep it from going out the window, however...

ntzntz
Level 7
Guys please tell me what program to run and i give you all the screenshots you need. And then you tell me if im right or wrong. I expected more from this. I blame the HDD or the Software. I will try to change the Antivirus to. I never said that the dual core desktop do better but the overall speed of the computer was much faster than this snail 🙂 Once again i am not talking about game performance. ( One problem btw I play League of Legends. I have random spikes but no lag or low fps )

X-ROG
Level 15
When your system is 'slow' what is it doing exactly? Is the HDD light flashing whenever you are waiting?

Best Buy models sell with a 5,400RPM HDD. It's their choice to bundle it on this model as they sell on size (1TB iirc), versus a much faster but smaller 128-256GB SSD.

dstrakele
Level 14
So it's not gaming performance. What activities on this laptop give you slow performance? That'll help us determine how to troubleshoot.

Show us what DPC Latency Checker gives you in a screen shot while doing low performance activities.

I bet an SSD with a clean install of Windows 7 without any ASUS Bloatware might make you smile...

Korky
Level 9
1) Install the OS properly with the latest drivers all again from this guide: ASUS G75VW Clean Install Guide

2) Upgrade to an SSD + HDD combo, you have to slots. I have the OS + apps + games installed on the SSD and my other files (music, videos, pr0n, etc) / software installation /setup files on the HDD and unleash the true power of your computer.

3) Uninstall that piece of crap antivirus and install the best antivirus for system performance, either ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security and watch your system get a turbo boost in performance as if you had no AV installed yet still secure as heck

Your major bottleneck is the crappy HDD along with other tips I told you

Don't buy a Shelby then equip it with a lame transmission and call it slow! know your ride before you complain

X-ROG
Level 15
Easy tigers. People are here to learn! 😛