cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Xpert does not control optional chassis fan

dy5828
Level 7
Hi, Im new to the ROG community. I recently bought a RIVE and I like it alot.

One issue I have having though is Fan Xpert from the AI Suite does seem to be able to find the optional chassis fan I have plugged in. I am currently using all 6 chassis fan headers. I can still manage to change the fan setting in the BIOS but it does not give me the full control and user curves that Fan Xpert have. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or it is like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also on a side note. In using both AIDA 64 and AI Suite, I notice that the AI Suite's CPU temp is not the actual core temps. For example, in AIDA, I see 22c CPU with the cores themselves from 29c-33c while idle. In AI Suite, the CPU temp is just the 22c. Is there anyway to change that so it uses the core temps to trigger fans? because the BIOS default up the rpm at 60c which would mean the cores are already ar around 70c.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Delano_888
Level 7
True. Only CPU or case fans can be controlled via Fan Xpert and only if the fans have PWM.

There are 2 CPU fan headers, 3 case, & 3 opt. The 3 opt are not controllable via Fan Xpert, even if the fans have PWM.

I came to this thread looking for the same information.

What I realized on my own however is that it is not enabled by default.

1. you must enable fan control in the UEFI BIOS. I don't know that any particular kind of fan control matters.
2. you must "auto-tune" fan xpert2 for the program to see that there is fan control available. Otherwise, there will be no option to change fan values for optional fans. (note, before auto-tuning, I named the fan that had greyed-out controls. This shouldn't matter, but it's a step that I want to record here).

I am using an Asus Maximus 5 Extreme with an Intel i7-3770, BIOS rev. 1604 12/21/2012, and Fan Xpert2. My optional fans are NOT PWM -- just the three-pin with standard tachometer.

Cheers.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
When I tryed using the OPT_FAN headers I couldn't get them to control the fan speed either. And Smitty, Asus has told us their 4-pin fan headers will NOT control the fan speed of 3-pin fans regardless.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

HalloweenWeed wrote:
When I tried using the OPT_FAN headers I couldn't get them to control the fan speed either. And Smitty, Asus has told us their 4-pin fan headers will NOT control the fan speed of 3-pin fans regardless.

I am not familiar with Rampage series boards, but on mine (Maximus V Formula) the Fan Expert II can indeed control fan speeds even for 3pin fans. Maybe it's the fan's "fault"/inability to be controlled in dy5828's case :confused:
Asus Crosshair VIII Impact, 5950X, Crucial Ballistic 2x32GB @ 3600MHz, 2 x Corsair MP600 2TB, 2 x Samsung 870 Evo 4TB, Asus 3090 TUF OC, Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ, Panasonic UJ265 ODD, Ncase M1 v6.1, Corsair SF750, Logitech G703, Wooting One, Soundblaster Katana X, Audeze LCD-GX, Logitech C920 HD Pro, Win 10 Pro x64

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Raja@ASUS wrote:
The CPU fan headers can control 4 pin fans ONLY. Any 3 pin fan plugged into a CPU fan header on these boards will run at full speed.

The Chassis fan headers will control 3 pin fans. They will also "control" 4 pin fans, but in DC mode (3 pin control).

-Raja

AI Suite & Fan Control Issue - Post #8
What this is saying though, is you can control 3-pin fans only on the CHA_FAN headers.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.