cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 RTM, Solid state install with problems detecting raid 10 drive

nicklasd
Level 7
Good Day Gentlemen,

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this odd problem while running Windows 8. I have installed Windows 8 on to a 480gb SSD without any issues. I also have a RAID 10 storage drive configured using the onboard intel controller. The SSD is connected to the onboard AsMedia controller. I installed windows 8 in EFI mode, so when I reboot my experience is I skip the motherboard bios prompt and am booted directly into the drive allowing for very quick boots, reboots. I find if I hit delete during the boot up process I can still access my motherboard as usual.

My problem is that when my computer either starts up or reboots, my intel controller seems to not reboot/startup in turn and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there are any workarounds to this. My intel controller does work if I hit delete at startup and boot into the bios, but any other time without intervention it doesn't initialize.

Any ideas what I have done wrong, and is any additional information required?

Thanks,
Dave
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello Dave

Could you please give a full list of the hardware you are using and include the bios version too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Can do,

Rampage IV Extreme Bios: 2105
Boot Disk: Corsair Force GT 480
RAID 10 Array: 4x Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
PSU: Corsair 1200 ATX
CPU: Intel 3930 OC to 4.3ghz
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance PC3 15000
GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 580

I've also done some further testing. I put the boot disk on the intel controller with my raid 10 array. This allowed the raid to boot every time solving my initial problem, but now the SSD doesn't seem to be running in AHCI mode due to the intel controller being set to RAID. The reason I don't think it's running in AHCI mode is because I can no longer optimize my drive (optimization not available).

I'm under the understanding that a SSD should still run in AHCI mode while the controller is set to RAID so I'm confused why I'm having issues with this. If I reformat with the intel controller set to AHCI I regain the optimization capability, but when I switch the controller back to RAID so I can configure my raid, windows fails to boot until I reformat again...

Nodens
Level 16
If I am not mistaken when the Intel controller is set to RAID you are not on AHCI. You are on SAT (SCSI to ATA Translation) mode. No way to bypass that.If you use a modded UEFI with updated Intel OpROM (at your own risk) and latest RSTe you should be able to optimize on RAID mode as well. There is version 2015b by Unixsystem if you search the threads and there's an untested version by me that should be flashable with EZ Flash instead of Flashback https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64810339/Rampage-IV-Extreme-ASUS-2105_Nodens.7z I say untested because if anyone actually tried it they didn't report back 🙂

Otherwise I suggest you try reverting to 1404.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nodens is that non-AHCI for RAID mode only in Win8? Could you link me to some literature about it please. I have been following a couple of threads in storage forums but no one has been able to provide me with white papers or similar that can verify. Cheers.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I can't seem to find the relative discussion but it was somewhere under the smartmontools development. If I remember correctly in RAID mode SAT is employed so that AHCI features can be used (NCQ etc). So it is not native AHCI. I'll try digging some more to find the relative url.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens
Level 16
The only relative thing I can find right now is a quote from http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/FAQ

Smartmontools should work correctly with SATA drives under both Linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. Depending on which subsystem the SATA controller is in (i.e. drivers/ide, drivers/ata or libata (under drivers/scsi) a SATA drive will appear as /dev/hd* or /dev/sd*. Either way, smartmontools should be able to figure out what is going on and act accordingly. In some cases smartmontools may need a hint in the form of a '-d sat' or '-d ata' option on the smartctl command line or in the /etc/smartd.conf file. There may be a hint to add one of those options in the log file when smartd is run as a daemon or on the command line with smartctl. The '-d ata' option means that even though the drive has a SCSI device name, treat it as an ATA disk. Unfortunately such an approach doesn't often work. The next paragraph has more information about '-d sat'.

The SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) standard (ANSI INCITS 431-2007) may solve many problems in this area. It defines how SCSI commands will be translated to the corresponding ATA commands and defines a pass-through mechanism. ATA commands are conveyed natively by two transports: parallel and serial ATA. SCSI commands can be conveyed by many transports: the veteran SCSI Parallel Interface (SPI), Fibre Channel (FC), Infiniband (SRP), Serial Attached SCSI (SAS), IP (iSCSI and iSER), USB (mass storage), and IEEE 1394 (SBP) to name some. Due to their cost and storage capacity, more and more ATA disks (especially SATA disks) are appearing "behind" a SCSI transport. This is especially true of the SAS transport which can painlessly accomodate both SAS and SATA disks. Enter another acronym: SATL which stands for SCSI to ATA Translation Layer. In Linux libata has a SATL in it. Some SAS host bus adapters have a SATL in their firmware. FC might have a SATL in a switch. Perhaps in the future USB and IEEE 1394 enclosures will have a SATL in them. Starting from smartmontools versions 5.36 and 5.37, no matter where a SATL is, irrespective of the operating system in use, the user should have less problems with ATA disks, no matter which transport is involved. As always, it helps to know a little of what is happening under the covers. The '-d sat' option instructs smartctl and smartd to assume a SATL is in place and act accordingly. The smartctl command can often detect a SATL and autoconfigure while in smartmontools version 5.37 smartd often needs a hint.

I guess the easiest way to check is boot a linux live cd and try pulling smart data with -d sat 🙂

RealBench Developer.

So I installed bios 2105b and it loaded successfully, but unfortunately I still can't seem to optimize the SSD. One thing that is neat though is I can swap it between the AHCI Asmedia controller and the RAID Intel Controller without having to reformat oddly enough, but I still can't optimize when attached to the RAID Intel Controller.

Nodens
Level 16
Did you also install the latest Intel RSTe? This is a requirement I believe for "optimization". And switching controllers does not ever require a format.

RealBench Developer.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers Nodens you and me both can not find anything official that is more meaty and detailed. Does not make it not so of course. Thanks for your input here and in other threads concerning storage issues. Much appreciated mate.